Nov 8, 2011, 12:11 PM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes (5-6-3) have just two wins in their last eight, and during a stretch like that, questions are naturally going to be asked about the coach.
Questions like, “How does this guy still have a job?”
Paul Maurice has been behind the bench since December of 2008 and has failed to lead Carolina to the playoffs the last two seasons. But according to GM Jim Rutherford, Maurice will be around at least a bit longer.
“The easiest thing when you’ve lost a couple of games as bad as we lost them is to start pointing at the coach or the coaches,” Rutherford told the News & Observer yesterday. “It takes everybody when it comes time to win, and it takes everybody when it comes time to lose. We need to get back to work and get back to playing the style of game our team did when we were winning games.
“Now, if we’re talking again in a six- or-seven game losing streak, I’ll probably be in a different frame of mind and answer those (coaching) questions differently. Let’s get back on track. If not, I’ll look at all the situations differently.”
Rutherford and Maurice go way back, but Rutherford’s fired his good friend before (during the 2003-04 season), so you know he’ll pull the trigger if he has to. Sort of like in the mafia. It’s only business. Except with less shiny suits.
The ‘Canes are in New Jersey tonight looking to snap a two-game losing streak that’s seen them outscored by a combined 10-3. After the Devils, they’ll take on the Rangers in New York, followed by home games against Pittsburgh and Philadelphia. Suffice to say Maurice has his work cut out if he doesn’t want to get clipped.
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 11
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 38
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 14
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 95
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (95)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)