Nov 8, 2011, 5:21 PM EDT
The Ontario Hockey League announced today that Niagara IceDogs forward Tom Kuhnhackl has been suspended 20 games for his hit on Kitchener Rangers defenseman Ryan Murphy.
The play in question occurred Friday after Murphy, 18, went back to retrieve the puck behind the Kitchener goal and didn’t see Kuhnhackl, 19, charging towards him.
The 20-game suspension was handed out with the following rationale:
—-Contact with head
—-Vulnerable unsuspecting player
—-Speed and considerable distance traveled
—-Kitchener player injured on the play
Murphy, who suffered a concussion on the play, was selected 12th overall by the Carolina Hurricanes in the 2011 draft. In an ironic twist, the ‘Canes sent him back to junior partly because they felt he wasn’t physically ready to play against bigger, stronger NHL players.
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 59
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5