Nov 8, 2011, 7:48 PM EST
The Pittsburgh Penguins traded Mark Letestu to the Columbus Blue Jackets for a 4th round pick according to Renaud Lavoie at RDS. Considering the horrific start in Columbus, it’s no surprise that the organization felt the need to shake things up. It was either trading a 4th round pick or firing an assistant coach to turn things around. Since the Canadiens had already gone the assistant coach/scapegoat route, GM Scott Howson thought it would be in team’s best interests to blaze a new trail.
There had been rumors that the Penguins were shopping Letestu as far back as October while they tried to piece together their 23 man roster. It’s no secret they have a fairly talented center who is about to return from injured reserve—moving Letestu creates more wiggle room on the active roster. For the Penguins, it’s a minor move at best.
For the Blue Jackets, this could be the first move as they try to right the ship in Columbus. Let’s be real: there’s no way Mark Letestu can be the big move to fix all the problems for the Blue Jackets, right? There’s been rumor after rumor that head coach Scott Arniel’s days are numbered with the organization—something that may (or may not) be fair considering the injuries and suspensions to high-end acquisitions. Still, the team has the worst record in the league and has given up 22 more goals than they’ve scored this season. Something needed to change.
Clearly, adding a guy that has a single assist and is a minus six through 11 games is exactly what the team will need to jumpstart their season. Still, we have a feeling Arniel shouldn’t get too comfy in the coach’s office.
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 16
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 24
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 63
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 45
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 15
- Trade: Montreal acquires Petry from Edmonton for two draft picks 21
- Bruins acquire Connolly from the Lightning for draft picks (Confirmed) 32
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 69
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (161)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)