Nov 8, 2011, 7:48 PM EST
The Pittsburgh Penguins traded Mark Letestu to the Columbus Blue Jackets for a 4th round pick according to Renaud Lavoie at RDS. Considering the horrific start in Columbus, it’s no surprise that the organization felt the need to shake things up. It was either trading a 4th round pick or firing an assistant coach to turn things around. Since the Canadiens had already gone the assistant coach/scapegoat route, GM Scott Howson thought it would be in team’s best interests to blaze a new trail.
There had been rumors that the Penguins were shopping Letestu as far back as October while they tried to piece together their 23 man roster. It’s no secret they have a fairly talented center who is about to return from injured reserve—moving Letestu creates more wiggle room on the active roster. For the Penguins, it’s a minor move at best.
For the Blue Jackets, this could be the first move as they try to right the ship in Columbus. Let’s be real: there’s no way Mark Letestu can be the big move to fix all the problems for the Blue Jackets, right? There’s been rumor after rumor that head coach Scott Arniel’s days are numbered with the organization—something that may (or may not) be fair considering the injuries and suspensions to high-end acquisitions. Still, the team has the worst record in the league and has given up 22 more goals than they’ve scored this season. Something needed to change.
Clearly, adding a guy that has a single assist and is a minus six through 11 games is exactly what the team will need to jumpstart their season. Still, we have a feeling Arniel shouldn’t get too comfy in the coach’s office.
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 13
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 42
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 26
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 31
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 12
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 49
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)