Nov 7, 2011, 5:16 PM EDT
Blueshirts United is reporting that New York Rangers LW Wojtek Wolski will undergo abdominal surgery to repair a sports hernia and is slated to miss the next four weeks of action.
Surgery is the latest in what’s been a forgettable season for the 25-year-old. Wolski’s already missed time with a groin strain and recorded just two assists in six games — in fact, his most notable moments thus far are elbowing Daniel Alfredsson in the face and being the punchline to a John Tortorella zinger. When asked about Wolski’s availability prior to an October game versus Calgary, Torts replied, “we can’t get him out of the tub.”
This, of course, was a not-so-subtle shot at Wolski’s slow recovery. Or maybe a shot at his bathing infatuation. I dunno.
How this scenario plays out for both Wolski and the Rangers will be interesting. New York has played well without him in the lineup, winning two straight (basically three, considering Wolski only played four minutes in a 2-1 win over Anaheim) and he’s clearly not one of Tortorella’s favorites.
That said, he’s still a talented young player in a contract year, and it’s always curious how talented young players often perform well in contract years.
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 2
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 13
- Discuss: Bruins find scoring touch in Game 2 win over Rangers 26
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 64
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 45
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 56
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 27
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (94)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Live Extra: Watch live coverage of Penguins-Senators
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles