Nov 7, 2011, 5:16 PM EST
Blueshirts United is reporting that New York Rangers LW Wojtek Wolski will undergo abdominal surgery to repair a sports hernia and is slated to miss the next four weeks of action.
Surgery is the latest in what’s been a forgettable season for the 25-year-old. Wolski’s already missed time with a groin strain and recorded just two assists in six games — in fact, his most notable moments thus far are elbowing Daniel Alfredsson in the face and being the punchline to a John Tortorella zinger. When asked about Wolski’s availability prior to an October game versus Calgary, Torts replied, “we can’t get him out of the tub.”
This, of course, was a not-so-subtle shot at Wolski’s slow recovery. Or maybe a shot at his bathing infatuation. I dunno.
How this scenario plays out for both Wolski and the Rangers will be interesting. New York has played well without him in the lineup, winning two straight (basically three, considering Wolski only played four minutes in a 2-1 win over Anaheim) and he’s clearly not one of Tortorella’s favorites.
That said, he’s still a talented young player in a contract year, and it’s always curious how talented young players often perform well in contract years.
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 19
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- The Atlantic Division race is going to be fascinating 19
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 22
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 11
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 6
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 41
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 9