Nov 7, 2011, 5:16 PM EDT
Blueshirts United is reporting that New York Rangers LW Wojtek Wolski will undergo abdominal surgery to repair a sports hernia and is slated to miss the next four weeks of action.
Surgery is the latest in what’s been a forgettable season for the 25-year-old. Wolski’s already missed time with a groin strain and recorded just two assists in six games — in fact, his most notable moments thus far are elbowing Daniel Alfredsson in the face and being the punchline to a John Tortorella zinger. When asked about Wolski’s availability prior to an October game versus Calgary, Torts replied, “we can’t get him out of the tub.”
This, of course, was a not-so-subtle shot at Wolski’s slow recovery. Or maybe a shot at his bathing infatuation. I dunno.
How this scenario plays out for both Wolski and the Rangers will be interesting. New York has played well without him in the lineup, winning two straight (basically three, considering Wolski only played four minutes in a 2-1 win over Anaheim) and he’s clearly not one of Tortorella’s favorites.
That said, he’s still a talented young player in a contract year, and it’s always curious how talented young players often perform well in contract years.
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 32
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 44
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 18
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (45)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)