Nov 7, 2011, 5:16 PM EDT
Blueshirts United is reporting that New York Rangers LW Wojtek Wolski will undergo abdominal surgery to repair a sports hernia and is slated to miss the next four weeks of action.
Surgery is the latest in what’s been a forgettable season for the 25-year-old. Wolski’s already missed time with a groin strain and recorded just two assists in six games — in fact, his most notable moments thus far are elbowing Daniel Alfredsson in the face and being the punchline to a John Tortorella zinger. When asked about Wolski’s availability prior to an October game versus Calgary, Torts replied, “we can’t get him out of the tub.”
This, of course, was a not-so-subtle shot at Wolski’s slow recovery. Or maybe a shot at his bathing infatuation. I dunno.
How this scenario plays out for both Wolski and the Rangers will be interesting. New York has played well without him in the lineup, winning two straight (basically three, considering Wolski only played four minutes in a 2-1 win over Anaheim) and he’s clearly not one of Tortorella’s favorites.
That said, he’s still a talented young player in a contract year, and it’s always curious how talented young players often perform well in contract years.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 17
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 10
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 30
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 32
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)