Nov 7, 2011, 5:16 PM EST
Blueshirts United is reporting that New York Rangers LW Wojtek Wolski will undergo abdominal surgery to repair a sports hernia and is slated to miss the next four weeks of action.
Surgery is the latest in what’s been a forgettable season for the 25-year-old. Wolski’s already missed time with a groin strain and recorded just two assists in six games — in fact, his most notable moments thus far are elbowing Daniel Alfredsson in the face and being the punchline to a John Tortorella zinger. When asked about Wolski’s availability prior to an October game versus Calgary, Torts replied, “we can’t get him out of the tub.”
This, of course, was a not-so-subtle shot at Wolski’s slow recovery. Or maybe a shot at his bathing infatuation. I dunno.
How this scenario plays out for both Wolski and the Rangers will be interesting. New York has played well without him in the lineup, winning two straight (basically three, considering Wolski only played four minutes in a 2-1 win over Anaheim) and he’s clearly not one of Tortorella’s favorites.
That said, he’s still a talented young player in a contract year, and it’s always curious how talented young players often perform well in contract years.
- Flames place Giordano on IR 0
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 25
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 59
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 41
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (97)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)