Nov 7, 2011, 7:06 PM EST
The Big Question will be a weekly feature on PHT where we ask a question, provide some background and ask you, the reader, to weigh in with your opinions.
Today’s question: Are the Blue Jackets beyond fixing?
Based on the following measures, the answer is a big yes:
—- 2.2 goals per game (26th)
—- 9.2% power play (29th)
—- 3.7 goals against per game (30th)
—- 73.5% penalty kill (28th)
And with apologies to Steve Mason, can we really blame the Jackets for struggling to keep the puck out of their net with the worst goaltending in the NHL? Mason has faced 337 shots and allowed 44 goals against, giving him a .869 save percentage. If that percentage were .900 (which is hardly spectacular), the goal total would go from 44 to 34. Not to mention the effect solid goaltending can have on a team’s psyche.
You can’t fault general manager Scott Howson for the suspension to Wisniewski or the injuries to Carter and Huselius, but his decision to go with Mason in goal was inexcusable. A fireable offense, frankly.
On the bright side, goaltending is the one area that can be improved with a single trade. And there are decent goalies out there that could be had for a reasonable price.
The Jackets might not be able to find a long-term solution in goal during the regular season, but an average journeyman is better than what they’ve got in Mason, Allen York and an injured Curtis Sanford. Tampa Bay was in a similar situation last year with Dan Ellis and Mike Smith, so Lightning GM Steve Yzerman went out and got Dwayne Roloson. Look how well that turned out.
So what do you think? Should the Jackets just blow it up and start again? Or is there still a future for this group?
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 2
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 7
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 17
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)