Nov 7, 2011, 7:06 PM EST
The Big Question will be a weekly feature on PHT where we ask a question, provide some background and ask you, the reader, to weigh in with your opinions.
Today’s question: Are the Blue Jackets beyond fixing?
Based on the following measures, the answer is a big yes:
—- 2.2 goals per game (26th)
—- 9.2% power play (29th)
—- 3.7 goals against per game (30th)
—- 73.5% penalty kill (28th)
And with apologies to Steve Mason, can we really blame the Jackets for struggling to keep the puck out of their net with the worst goaltending in the NHL? Mason has faced 337 shots and allowed 44 goals against, giving him a .869 save percentage. If that percentage were .900 (which is hardly spectacular), the goal total would go from 44 to 34. Not to mention the effect solid goaltending can have on a team’s psyche.
You can’t fault general manager Scott Howson for the suspension to Wisniewski or the injuries to Carter and Huselius, but his decision to go with Mason in goal was inexcusable. A fireable offense, frankly.
On the bright side, goaltending is the one area that can be improved with a single trade. And there are decent goalies out there that could be had for a reasonable price.
The Jackets might not be able to find a long-term solution in goal during the regular season, but an average journeyman is better than what they’ve got in Mason, Allen York and an injured Curtis Sanford. Tampa Bay was in a similar situation last year with Dan Ellis and Mike Smith, so Lightning GM Steve Yzerman went out and got Dwayne Roloson. Look how well that turned out.
So what do you think? Should the Jackets just blow it up and start again? Or is there still a future for this group?
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 0
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 52
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (52)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)