Nov 7, 2011, 4:01 PM EDT
If Jacob Markstrom can play great in the NHL, just think how good he’ll be in the minors.
The Florida Panthers have sent the 21-year-old goalie down to San Antonio of the AHL, citing the need to get more playing time for their highly-touted prospect.
“[Markstrom’s] got a great future, and that’s what we’re all about,” said Panthers GM Dale Tallon, as reported by NHL.com. “That’s a position where you could lose your confidence in a hurry. We’re being cautious here, being conservative in his development and doing what’s best for the future. We know he can come up and play games for us if needed.”
Florida also saves some money by sending Markstrom to San Antonio (where he’ll make peanuts), though you’d have to be pretty cynical to think money has anything to do with the move. Tallon makes a great point about the delicate confidence of young goalies. It never hurts to get a bunch of reps under their belts at a lower level.
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 35
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 44
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 52
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Panthers re-sign Kulikov: three years, $13 million 6
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him 77
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M 58
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (57)