Nov 7, 2011, 4:01 PM EDT
If Jacob Markstrom can play great in the NHL, just think how good he’ll be in the minors.
The Florida Panthers have sent the 21-year-old goalie down to San Antonio of the AHL, citing the need to get more playing time for their highly-touted prospect.
“[Markstrom’s] got a great future, and that’s what we’re all about,” said Panthers GM Dale Tallon, as reported by NHL.com. “That’s a position where you could lose your confidence in a hurry. We’re being cautious here, being conservative in his development and doing what’s best for the future. We know he can come up and play games for us if needed.”
Florida also saves some money by sending Markstrom to San Antonio (where he’ll make peanuts), though you’d have to be pretty cynical to think money has anything to do with the move. Tallon makes a great point about the delicate confidence of young goalies. It never hurts to get a bunch of reps under their belts at a lower level.
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 20
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 13
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 37
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 24
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)