Nov 7, 2011, 4:01 PM EST
If Jacob Markstrom can play great in the NHL, just think how good he’ll be in the minors.
The Florida Panthers have sent the 21-year-old goalie down to San Antonio of the AHL, citing the need to get more playing time for their highly-touted prospect.
“[Markstrom’s] got a great future, and that’s what we’re all about,” said Panthers GM Dale Tallon, as reported by NHL.com. “That’s a position where you could lose your confidence in a hurry. We’re being cautious here, being conservative in his development and doing what’s best for the future. We know he can come up and play games for us if needed.”
Florida also saves some money by sending Markstrom to San Antonio (where he’ll make peanuts), though you’d have to be pretty cynical to think money has anything to do with the move. Tallon makes a great point about the delicate confidence of young goalies. It never hurts to get a bunch of reps under their belts at a lower level.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 0
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 21
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 17
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)