Nov 7, 2011, 4:01 PM EDT
If Jacob Markstrom can play great in the NHL, just think how good he’ll be in the minors.
The Florida Panthers have sent the 21-year-old goalie down to San Antonio of the AHL, citing the need to get more playing time for their highly-touted prospect.
“[Markstrom’s] got a great future, and that’s what we’re all about,” said Panthers GM Dale Tallon, as reported by NHL.com. “That’s a position where you could lose your confidence in a hurry. We’re being cautious here, being conservative in his development and doing what’s best for the future. We know he can come up and play games for us if needed.”
Florida also saves some money by sending Markstrom to San Antonio (where he’ll make peanuts), though you’d have to be pretty cynical to think money has anything to do with the move. Tallon makes a great point about the delicate confidence of young goalies. It never hurts to get a bunch of reps under their belts at a lower level.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)