Nov 7, 2011, 4:01 PM EST
If Jacob Markstrom can play great in the NHL, just think how good he’ll be in the minors.
The Florida Panthers have sent the 21-year-old goalie down to San Antonio of the AHL, citing the need to get more playing time for their highly-touted prospect.
“[Markstrom’s] got a great future, and that’s what we’re all about,” said Panthers GM Dale Tallon, as reported by NHL.com. “That’s a position where you could lose your confidence in a hurry. We’re being cautious here, being conservative in his development and doing what’s best for the future. We know he can come up and play games for us if needed.”
Florida also saves some money by sending Markstrom to San Antonio (where he’ll make peanuts), though you’d have to be pretty cynical to think money has anything to do with the move. Tallon makes a great point about the delicate confidence of young goalies. It never hurts to get a bunch of reps under their belts at a lower level.
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 13
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 42
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 26
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 31
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 12
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 49
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)