Nov 7, 2011, 3:03 PM EDT
Slightly troubling news out of New Jersey this morning as the Devils prepare to host Carolina on Tuesday. Second-leading scorer Ilya Kovalchuk, who hasn’t played or practiced since straining a leg muscle last Thursday against Philadelphia, is still struggling with the injury and likely won’t suit up against the ‘Canes.
“If there’s a miraculous recovery overnight (he’ll play). I’m not going to paint myself in a corner,” Devils head coach Peter DeBoer told Rich Chere of the New Jersey Star-Ledger. “But the fact he wasn’t out there today probably speaks to where he’s at.”
Kovalchuk told reporters his injury was serious, but later clarified his comments.
“I missed a game, so it is serious. I hate missing games,” he said. “It is a little serious but I hope it’s going to go away soon.”
Kovalchuk really does hate to be held out. Since missing the final 16 of his rookie season with a shoulder injury, he’s been a regular presence on the lineup card, never missing more than five games in a single year. And you can understand why he’d hate missing time this season — DeBoer is playing him over 25 minutes a night, the most amongst all NHL forwards.
In his stead, the Devils are shuffling players around. Patrik Elias is now manning the PP point (along with Adam Larsson) while the first line versus Winnipeg on Saturday featured Zach Parise, Adam Henrique and David Clarkson.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 5
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 34
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)