Nov 7, 2011, 3:03 PM EST
Slightly troubling news out of New Jersey this morning as the Devils prepare to host Carolina on Tuesday. Second-leading scorer Ilya Kovalchuk, who hasn’t played or practiced since straining a leg muscle last Thursday against Philadelphia, is still struggling with the injury and likely won’t suit up against the ‘Canes.
“If there’s a miraculous recovery overnight (he’ll play). I’m not going to paint myself in a corner,” Devils head coach Peter DeBoer told Rich Chere of the New Jersey Star-Ledger. “But the fact he wasn’t out there today probably speaks to where he’s at.”
Kovalchuk told reporters his injury was serious, but later clarified his comments.
“I missed a game, so it is serious. I hate missing games,” he said. “It is a little serious but I hope it’s going to go away soon.”
Kovalchuk really does hate to be held out. Since missing the final 16 of his rookie season with a shoulder injury, he’s been a regular presence on the lineup card, never missing more than five games in a single year. And you can understand why he’d hate missing time this season — DeBoer is playing him over 25 minutes a night, the most amongst all NHL forwards.
In his stead, the Devils are shuffling players around. Patrik Elias is now manning the PP point (along with Adam Larsson) while the first line versus Winnipeg on Saturday featured Zach Parise, Adam Henrique and David Clarkson.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (73)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)