Nov 7, 2011, 3:03 PM EDT
Slightly troubling news out of New Jersey this morning as the Devils prepare to host Carolina on Tuesday. Second-leading scorer Ilya Kovalchuk, who hasn’t played or practiced since straining a leg muscle last Thursday against Philadelphia, is still struggling with the injury and likely won’t suit up against the ‘Canes.
“If there’s a miraculous recovery overnight (he’ll play). I’m not going to paint myself in a corner,” Devils head coach Peter DeBoer told Rich Chere of the New Jersey Star-Ledger. “But the fact he wasn’t out there today probably speaks to where he’s at.”
Kovalchuk told reporters his injury was serious, but later clarified his comments.
“I missed a game, so it is serious. I hate missing games,” he said. “It is a little serious but I hope it’s going to go away soon.”
Kovalchuk really does hate to be held out. Since missing the final 16 of his rookie season with a shoulder injury, he’s been a regular presence on the lineup card, never missing more than five games in a single year. And you can understand why he’d hate missing time this season — DeBoer is playing him over 25 minutes a night, the most amongst all NHL forwards.
In his stead, the Devils are shuffling players around. Patrik Elias is now manning the PP point (along with Adam Larsson) while the first line versus Winnipeg on Saturday featured Zach Parise, Adam Henrique and David Clarkson.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 0
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 31
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 19
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 82
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (82)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)