Nov 7, 2011, 1:01 PM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings are in San Jose tonight where they’ll look to break out of their scoring slump with, say, three goals?
L.A. has managed just six goals in its last four outings, all of them losses. So far this season the Kings are averaging a paltry 2.15 goals per game, more than only the Ducks (1.86) and Islanders (2.09).
I suppose this shouldn’t come as a huge surprise. The Kings were one of the lowest-scoring teams in the league last year. Ultimately it was their dominance in the shootout (10-2) that got them into the playoffs.
It’s still curious though when you consider all the offensive talent in Los Angeles. The Kings aren’t the Coyotes or Predators, a pair of teams who play defensive hockey because they absolutely have to.
Doughty’s production has to be the most concerning. The Kings just broke the bank to sign the 21-year-old to an eight-year, $56-million deal.
Coach Terry Murray is willing to be patient with his franchise defenseman, who missed training camp while hammering out the big contract, then suffered a shoulder injury in mid-October that kept him out of the line-up for five games.
“There’s some lag time here, to get the rust off, to get the cobwebs out,” said Murray after Saturday’s 3-2 shootout loss to the Penguins.
The rust excuse aside, Doughty’s production fell last year when he tallied 40 points the season after he racked up 59.
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 16
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 24
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 58
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (58)