Nov 7, 2011, 1:01 PM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings are in San Jose tonight where they’ll look to break out of their scoring slump with, say, three goals?
L.A. has managed just six goals in its last four outings, all of them losses. So far this season the Kings are averaging a paltry 2.15 goals per game, more than only the Ducks (1.86) and Islanders (2.09).
I suppose this shouldn’t come as a huge surprise. The Kings were one of the lowest-scoring teams in the league last year. Ultimately it was their dominance in the shootout (10-2) that got them into the playoffs.
It’s still curious though when you consider all the offensive talent in Los Angeles. The Kings aren’t the Coyotes or Predators, a pair of teams who play defensive hockey because they absolutely have to.
Doughty’s production has to be the most concerning. The Kings just broke the bank to sign the 21-year-old to an eight-year, $56-million deal.
Coach Terry Murray is willing to be patient with his franchise defenseman, who missed training camp while hammering out the big contract, then suffered a shoulder injury in mid-October that kept him out of the line-up for five games.
“There’s some lag time here, to get the rust off, to get the cobwebs out,” said Murray after Saturday’s 3-2 shootout loss to the Penguins.
The rust excuse aside, Doughty’s production fell last year when he tallied 40 points the season after he racked up 59.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)