Nov 7, 2011, 1:01 PM EST
The Los Angeles Kings are in San Jose tonight where they’ll look to break out of their scoring slump with, say, three goals?
L.A. has managed just six goals in its last four outings, all of them losses. So far this season the Kings are averaging a paltry 2.15 goals per game, more than only the Ducks (1.86) and Islanders (2.09).
I suppose this shouldn’t come as a huge surprise. The Kings were one of the lowest-scoring teams in the league last year. Ultimately it was their dominance in the shootout (10-2) that got them into the playoffs.
It’s still curious though when you consider all the offensive talent in Los Angeles. The Kings aren’t the Coyotes or Predators, a pair of teams who play defensive hockey because they absolutely have to.
Doughty’s production has to be the most concerning. The Kings just broke the bank to sign the 21-year-old to an eight-year, $56-million deal.
Coach Terry Murray is willing to be patient with his franchise defenseman, who missed training camp while hammering out the big contract, then suffered a shoulder injury in mid-October that kept him out of the line-up for five games.
“There’s some lag time here, to get the rust off, to get the cobwebs out,” said Murray after Saturday’s 3-2 shootout loss to the Penguins.
The rust excuse aside, Doughty’s production fell last year when he tallied 40 points the season after he racked up 59.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (121)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)