Nov 7, 2011, 8:04 PM EDT
Tough guys like George Parros won’t wear visors until the NHL makes them mandatory, but the mustachioed fighter might want to don one in practice. Parros took two pucks to the face in recent practices – one under his right eye (Oct. 26) and the most recent to his left eye on Friday, Nov. 4. That last one forced him to undergo laser eye surgery today, a procedure that will sideline him for about one month.
Parros joked that his left eye must have gotten jealous of the dinged-up right side of his face, which you can see from this photo (also via Parros’ Twitter):
Parros is an Ivy League graduate, so it’s not like the “tough dumb hockey player” line of argument works here. Still, his job is to intimidate and fight, which means he’s unlikely to don a visor (at least any longer than he’s forced to).
It feels strange to say this, but hopefully future stitches will come from fists, not wayward pucks. He’ll have to wait until December or so for that to happen again, though.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 5
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 29
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)