Nov 7, 2011, 8:04 PM EST
Tough guys like George Parros won’t wear visors until the NHL makes them mandatory, but the mustachioed fighter might want to don one in practice. Parros took two pucks to the face in recent practices – one under his right eye (Oct. 26) and the most recent to his left eye on Friday, Nov. 4. That last one forced him to undergo laser eye surgery today, a procedure that will sideline him for about one month.
Parros joked that his left eye must have gotten jealous of the dinged-up right side of his face, which you can see from this photo (also via Parros’ Twitter):
Parros is an Ivy League graduate, so it’s not like the “tough dumb hockey player” line of argument works here. Still, his job is to intimidate and fight, which means he’s unlikely to don a visor (at least any longer than he’s forced to).
It feels strange to say this, but hopefully future stitches will come from fists, not wayward pucks. He’ll have to wait until December or so for that to happen again, though.
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 62
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 11
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 87
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (87)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (80)