Nov 7, 2011, 5:41 PM EDT
When you’re a 2-11-1 hockey team fresh off a 9-2 whipping, you look anywhere for good news. For the Columbus Blue Jackets, that meant the first 20 minutes of today’s practice.
Jeff Carter, out since fracturing his foot on Oct. 15, briefly skated with the team this afternoon and reports indicate his foot responded well. (“I’m just taking it one day at a time,” the foot said.) Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch said Carter will participate in a full practice on Tuesday and hasn’t yet ruled out getting back into the lineup for Thursday, when the Jackets host Chicago.
Other good news: RW Jared Boll was cleared for full contact today. Boll broke his thumb in Columbus’ final exhibition game and has missed all 14 games this season, so he’s chomping at the bit to play again. For Boll, playing usually means fighting — he scrapped 23 times last year, third most in the league — which could be really interesting given Columbus is already icing two of the NHL’s most active brawlers in Cody Bass and Derek Dorsett.
“I think they’re going to say something like they ‘advise’ me to not fight,” Boll said. “But if they throw me in a game, there’s a chance it might happen. Once I’m playing I can’t promise anyone that the gloves are going stay on.”
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 2
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 12
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 63
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 31
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 54
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 13
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 10
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (63)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)