Nov 7, 2011, 5:41 PM EDT
When you’re a 2-11-1 hockey team fresh off a 9-2 whipping, you look anywhere for good news. For the Columbus Blue Jackets, that meant the first 20 minutes of today’s practice.
Jeff Carter, out since fracturing his foot on Oct. 15, briefly skated with the team this afternoon and reports indicate his foot responded well. (“I’m just taking it one day at a time,” the foot said.) Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch said Carter will participate in a full practice on Tuesday and hasn’t yet ruled out getting back into the lineup for Thursday, when the Jackets host Chicago.
Other good news: RW Jared Boll was cleared for full contact today. Boll broke his thumb in Columbus’ final exhibition game and has missed all 14 games this season, so he’s chomping at the bit to play again. For Boll, playing usually means fighting — he scrapped 23 times last year, third most in the league — which could be really interesting given Columbus is already icing two of the NHL’s most active brawlers in Cody Bass and Derek Dorsett.
“I think they’re going to say something like they ‘advise’ me to not fight,” Boll said. “But if they throw me in a game, there’s a chance it might happen. Once I’m playing I can’t promise anyone that the gloves are going stay on.”
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers aim to solve Hawks’ Crawford 0
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 8
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 2
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 34
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)