Nov 7, 2011, 5:41 PM EDT
When you’re a 2-11-1 hockey team fresh off a 9-2 whipping, you look anywhere for good news. For the Columbus Blue Jackets, that meant the first 20 minutes of today’s practice.
Jeff Carter, out since fracturing his foot on Oct. 15, briefly skated with the team this afternoon and reports indicate his foot responded well. (“I’m just taking it one day at a time,” the foot said.) Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch said Carter will participate in a full practice on Tuesday and hasn’t yet ruled out getting back into the lineup for Thursday, when the Jackets host Chicago.
Other good news: RW Jared Boll was cleared for full contact today. Boll broke his thumb in Columbus’ final exhibition game and has missed all 14 games this season, so he’s chomping at the bit to play again. For Boll, playing usually means fighting — he scrapped 23 times last year, third most in the league — which could be really interesting given Columbus is already icing two of the NHL’s most active brawlers in Cody Bass and Derek Dorsett.
“I think they’re going to say something like they ‘advise’ me to not fight,” Boll said. “But if they throw me in a game, there’s a chance it might happen. Once I’m playing I can’t promise anyone that the gloves are going stay on.”
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 13
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 42
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 33
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)