Nov 7, 2011, 5:41 PM EST
When you’re a 2-11-1 hockey team fresh off a 9-2 whipping, you look anywhere for good news. For the Columbus Blue Jackets, that meant the first 20 minutes of today’s practice.
Jeff Carter, out since fracturing his foot on Oct. 15, briefly skated with the team this afternoon and reports indicate his foot responded well. (“I’m just taking it one day at a time,” the foot said.) Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch said Carter will participate in a full practice on Tuesday and hasn’t yet ruled out getting back into the lineup for Thursday, when the Jackets host Chicago.
Other good news: RW Jared Boll was cleared for full contact today. Boll broke his thumb in Columbus’ final exhibition game and has missed all 14 games this season, so he’s chomping at the bit to play again. For Boll, playing usually means fighting — he scrapped 23 times last year, third most in the league — which could be really interesting given Columbus is already icing two of the NHL’s most active brawlers in Cody Bass and Derek Dorsett.
“I think they’re going to say something like they ‘advise’ me to not fight,” Boll said. “But if they throw me in a game, there’s a chance it might happen. Once I’m playing I can’t promise anyone that the gloves are going stay on.”
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 150
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 97
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 119
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (181)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (150)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (119)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (97)