Nov 7, 2011, 10:23 AM EST
While we’ve been distracted with how bad the Bruins, Blue Jackets, and Canadiens have started their years and now the firing of Davis Payne in St. Louis, there’s another team sniffing around at a shake up. The Carolina Hurricanes have been less-than impressive to start the year and with a record of 5-6-3 and losers of six of their last eight, GM Jim Rutherford is sick of seeing the losses pile up.
Rutherford says that change could be on its way soon and if you think that means trouble for coach Paul Maurice… Think again. Rutherford tells Chip Alexander of the Raleigh News & Observer that while pointing at the coaches is the easy way to go about it, it’s up to the players to get things done on the ice.
For the Hurricanes, they’ve got a few issues. Cam Ward has been average in goal and his backup Brian Boucher has been terrible. Jeff Skinner is the only guy producing regularly on offense and captain Eric Staal is befitting of being called “snake bitten” when it comes to scoring. With just three goals and two assists to go along with countless posts hit as well as a soul-crushing -16 plus/minus rating, the captain could use a four-leaf clover or two.
Add all that to a defensive unit that’s struggling to put it together and you’ve got a mess. Obviously it’s still early in the season, but the Hurricanes are in danger of getting too far behind Washington and Tampa Bay in the Southeast and the rest of the Eastern Conference. A little bit of luck and a lot more hard work can get them back in it. If not, it might be time to shake up the roster a bit.
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 5
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 39
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 68
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)