Nov 7, 2011, 10:23 AM EDT
While we’ve been distracted with how bad the Bruins, Blue Jackets, and Canadiens have started their years and now the firing of Davis Payne in St. Louis, there’s another team sniffing around at a shake up. The Carolina Hurricanes have been less-than impressive to start the year and with a record of 5-6-3 and losers of six of their last eight, GM Jim Rutherford is sick of seeing the losses pile up.
Rutherford says that change could be on its way soon and if you think that means trouble for coach Paul Maurice… Think again. Rutherford tells Chip Alexander of the Raleigh News & Observer that while pointing at the coaches is the easy way to go about it, it’s up to the players to get things done on the ice.
For the Hurricanes, they’ve got a few issues. Cam Ward has been average in goal and his backup Brian Boucher has been terrible. Jeff Skinner is the only guy producing regularly on offense and captain Eric Staal is befitting of being called “snake bitten” when it comes to scoring. With just three goals and two assists to go along with countless posts hit as well as a soul-crushing -16 plus/minus rating, the captain could use a four-leaf clover or two.
Add all that to a defensive unit that’s struggling to put it together and you’ve got a mess. Obviously it’s still early in the season, but the Hurricanes are in danger of getting too far behind Washington and Tampa Bay in the Southeast and the rest of the Eastern Conference. A little bit of luck and a lot more hard work can get them back in it. If not, it might be time to shake up the roster a bit.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (38)