Nov 7, 2011, 10:23 AM EDT
While we’ve been distracted with how bad the Bruins, Blue Jackets, and Canadiens have started their years and now the firing of Davis Payne in St. Louis, there’s another team sniffing around at a shake up. The Carolina Hurricanes have been less-than impressive to start the year and with a record of 5-6-3 and losers of six of their last eight, GM Jim Rutherford is sick of seeing the losses pile up.
Rutherford says that change could be on its way soon and if you think that means trouble for coach Paul Maurice… Think again. Rutherford tells Chip Alexander of the Raleigh News & Observer that while pointing at the coaches is the easy way to go about it, it’s up to the players to get things done on the ice.
For the Hurricanes, they’ve got a few issues. Cam Ward has been average in goal and his backup Brian Boucher has been terrible. Jeff Skinner is the only guy producing regularly on offense and captain Eric Staal is befitting of being called “snake bitten” when it comes to scoring. With just three goals and two assists to go along with countless posts hit as well as a soul-crushing -16 plus/minus rating, the captain could use a four-leaf clover or two.
Add all that to a defensive unit that’s struggling to put it together and you’ve got a mess. Obviously it’s still early in the season, but the Hurricanes are in danger of getting too far behind Washington and Tampa Bay in the Southeast and the rest of the Eastern Conference. A little bit of luck and a lot more hard work can get them back in it. If not, it might be time to shake up the roster a bit.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 29
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 87
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 49
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 14
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (83)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)