Nov 7, 2011, 11:43 AM EDT
Ever wonder if Steve Stamkos met Tony the Tiger? Guy Boucher is hoping that the two can become better acquainted while the Lightning are on the road.
Boucher is trying to get back to the roots of what helped the Tampa Bay Lightning be such a strong team on the road last season and applying those routines to this season. One of the things that got the Lightning off to a fast start on the road was… A good breakfast? At 1-4-2 on the road apparently the Lightning needed to watch more daytime TV as kids to get a game plan.
Damian Cristodero of TampaBay.com tells us how Guy Boucher will break out his secret weapons of scrambled eggs, toast, orange juice, and bacon to help the Lightning get things rolling on the road.
“A lot of our guys don’t eat breakfast,” Boucher said. “They have coffee and leave. It’s the most important meal of the day. If you miss the most important meal of the day, you’re not going to give yourself a chance to be at your best.”
This has been a life tenet since Kindergarten for people my age (FYI: I’m 31) and not getting a good breakfast as a pro athlete seems like a doubly bad idea. It’s OK for a blogging jerk like me to skate by on caffeine and toast in the morning, the typos aren’t that many. But for the likes of Stamkos and Martin St. Louis to go without it it seems like a recipe for failure.
As Boucher says, if they want to avoid the first period “coma mode” getting those early morning carbs and proteins racing through their system should do the trick. Trix might be for kids, but now they’re for the Lightning too.
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 22
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 22
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 47
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 133
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 40
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 81
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7