Nov 7, 2011, 11:43 AM EST
Ever wonder if Steve Stamkos met Tony the Tiger? Guy Boucher is hoping that the two can become better acquainted while the Lightning are on the road.
Boucher is trying to get back to the roots of what helped the Tampa Bay Lightning be such a strong team on the road last season and applying those routines to this season. One of the things that got the Lightning off to a fast start on the road was… A good breakfast? At 1-4-2 on the road apparently the Lightning needed to watch more daytime TV as kids to get a game plan.
Damian Cristodero of TampaBay.com tells us how Guy Boucher will break out his secret weapons of scrambled eggs, toast, orange juice, and bacon to help the Lightning get things rolling on the road.
“A lot of our guys don’t eat breakfast,” Boucher said. “They have coffee and leave. It’s the most important meal of the day. If you miss the most important meal of the day, you’re not going to give yourself a chance to be at your best.”
This has been a life tenet since Kindergarten for people my age (FYI: I’m 31) and not getting a good breakfast as a pro athlete seems like a doubly bad idea. It’s OK for a blogging jerk like me to skate by on caffeine and toast in the morning, the typos aren’t that many. But for the likes of Stamkos and Martin St. Louis to go without it it seems like a recipe for failure.
As Boucher says, if they want to avoid the first period “coma mode” getting those early morning carbs and proteins racing through their system should do the trick. Trix might be for kids, but now they’re for the Lightning too.
- Steen, Blues hold on against Ovechkin, Capitals 5
- David Backes ejected after boarding, bloodying Karl Alzner 15
- End nearing? Lightning waive Nabokov 4
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 24
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 10
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 18
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 17
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 12
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 29