Nov 6, 2011, 4:35 PM EST
Philadelphia Flyers rookie Zac Rinaldo has made quite a name for himself this season.
With noteworthy names like Drew Doughty (see here) and Adam Larsson (see here) already on his knockout list, the 21-year-old has emerged as a dangerous open-ice hitter — something Columbus’ Aaron Johnson found out the hard way during last night’s 9-2 loss.
Rinaldo caught Johnson with a blindside hit, one that looked as though Johnson’s head was the principal point of contact.
Today, Sportsnet’s John Shannon reported that Rinaldo won’t face any supplemental discipline for the hit. Rinaldo received a two-minute charging penalty on the play (Shannon tweeted that “feeling was call on the ice was enough”) while Johnson returned to play almost six minutes in the third period, factors which may have been taken into account.
That said, the game was a complete blowout at the time (8-0) and Rinaldo does have something of a reputation, so it’s curious the hit wasn’t at least subjected for review or one of Shanny’s “let me explain why I didn’t punish this hit” videos.
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 25
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 63
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 14
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 21
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 49
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)