Nov 6, 2011, 4:35 PM EDT
Philadelphia Flyers rookie Zac Rinaldo has made quite a name for himself this season.
With noteworthy names like Drew Doughty (see here) and Adam Larsson (see here) already on his knockout list, the 21-year-old has emerged as a dangerous open-ice hitter — something Columbus’ Aaron Johnson found out the hard way during last night’s 9-2 loss.
Rinaldo caught Johnson with a blindside hit, one that looked as though Johnson’s head was the principal point of contact.
Today, Sportsnet’s John Shannon reported that Rinaldo won’t face any supplemental discipline for the hit. Rinaldo received a two-minute charging penalty on the play (Shannon tweeted that “feeling was call on the ice was enough”) while Johnson returned to play almost six minutes in the third period, factors which may have been taken into account.
That said, the game was a complete blowout at the time (8-0) and Rinaldo does have something of a reputation, so it’s curious the hit wasn’t at least subjected for review or one of Shanny’s “let me explain why I didn’t punish this hit” videos.
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 24
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 33
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 24
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 25
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 40
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 91
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Chargers ink Freeney for 2 years, $8.5 million
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal
- Play Video: IIHF highlights: Sweden 3, Finland 0
- Play Video: Highlights: Crosby's hat-trick leads Pens in Game 2
- Play Video: Vokoun robs Greening
- Play Video: Crosby scores twice early on in Game 2