Nov 6, 2011, 2:07 PM EST
Attention Habs fans: Do yourself a favor and don’t read this Larry Brooks column in today’s New York Post.
Not that Habs fans need to be told the Scott Gomez trade was an awful one for their team, but most of the focus has been on the shockingly overpaid Gomez himself.
However, acquiring Gomez isn’t the only thing the Canadiens are regretting about the trade. Rangers GM Glen Sather was also able to get defenseman Ryan McDonagh out of the deal with Montreal GM Bob Gainey. McDonagh is currently averaging 24:58 of ice time per game in Marc Staal’s absence, and according to Brooks, the 22-year-old is “emerging as a force.”
Why were the Habs willing to let the young d-man go? Brooks explains: “The Canadiens apparently expected McDonagh to become a dominant offensive player when they drafted him and, for whatever reason, were not satisfied with his development as a two-way defenseman with offensive skills that might have been dormant.”
For all the heat Sather takes for some of his decisions (and rightly so), this trade ranks up there with the most lopsided in NHL history. You even have to wonder if it saved Sather’s job, though many Rangers fans have speculated Slats has compromising photos of owner James Dolan, so maybe not.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)