Nov 6, 2011, 2:07 PM EDT
Attention Habs fans: Do yourself a favor and don’t read this Larry Brooks column in today’s New York Post.
Not that Habs fans need to be told the Scott Gomez trade was an awful one for their team, but most of the focus has been on the shockingly overpaid Gomez himself.
However, acquiring Gomez isn’t the only thing the Canadiens are regretting about the trade. Rangers GM Glen Sather was also able to get defenseman Ryan McDonagh out of the deal with Montreal GM Bob Gainey. McDonagh is currently averaging 24:58 of ice time per game in Marc Staal’s absence, and according to Brooks, the 22-year-old is “emerging as a force.”
Why were the Habs willing to let the young d-man go? Brooks explains: “The Canadiens apparently expected McDonagh to become a dominant offensive player when they drafted him and, for whatever reason, were not satisfied with his development as a two-way defenseman with offensive skills that might have been dormant.”
For all the heat Sather takes for some of his decisions (and rightly so), this trade ranks up there with the most lopsided in NHL history. You even have to wonder if it saved Sather’s job, though many Rangers fans have speculated Slats has compromising photos of owner James Dolan, so maybe not.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)