Nov 6, 2011, 2:07 PM EDT
Attention Habs fans: Do yourself a favor and don’t read this Larry Brooks column in today’s New York Post.
Not that Habs fans need to be told the Scott Gomez trade was an awful one for their team, but most of the focus has been on the shockingly overpaid Gomez himself.
However, acquiring Gomez isn’t the only thing the Canadiens are regretting about the trade. Rangers GM Glen Sather was also able to get defenseman Ryan McDonagh out of the deal with Montreal GM Bob Gainey. McDonagh is currently averaging 24:58 of ice time per game in Marc Staal’s absence, and according to Brooks, the 22-year-old is “emerging as a force.”
Why were the Habs willing to let the young d-man go? Brooks explains: “The Canadiens apparently expected McDonagh to become a dominant offensive player when they drafted him and, for whatever reason, were not satisfied with his development as a two-way defenseman with offensive skills that might have been dormant.”
For all the heat Sather takes for some of his decisions (and rightly so), this trade ranks up there with the most lopsided in NHL history. You even have to wonder if it saved Sather’s job, though many Rangers fans have speculated Slats has compromising photos of owner James Dolan, so maybe not.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 21
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 38
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)