Nov 6, 2011, 2:07 PM EDT
Attention Habs fans: Do yourself a favor and don’t read this Larry Brooks column in today’s New York Post.
Not that Habs fans need to be told the Scott Gomez trade was an awful one for their team, but most of the focus has been on the shockingly overpaid Gomez himself.
However, acquiring Gomez isn’t the only thing the Canadiens are regretting about the trade. Rangers GM Glen Sather was also able to get defenseman Ryan McDonagh out of the deal with Montreal GM Bob Gainey. McDonagh is currently averaging 24:58 of ice time per game in Marc Staal’s absence, and according to Brooks, the 22-year-old is “emerging as a force.”
Why were the Habs willing to let the young d-man go? Brooks explains: “The Canadiens apparently expected McDonagh to become a dominant offensive player when they drafted him and, for whatever reason, were not satisfied with his development as a two-way defenseman with offensive skills that might have been dormant.”
For all the heat Sather takes for some of his decisions (and rightly so), this trade ranks up there with the most lopsided in NHL history. You even have to wonder if it saved Sather’s job, though many Rangers fans have speculated Slats has compromising photos of owner James Dolan, so maybe not.
- Tavares, Islanders take 2-1 series lead with OT win 0
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 4
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 10
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 73
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 65
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 166
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 18
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (166)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)