Nov 6, 2011, 3:37 PM EDT
The last time the Vancouver Canucks visited the United Center, coach Alain Vigneault started a rookie in net.
This wasn’t just any game either. It was Game 6 against the Chicago Blackhawks. The Canucks led the first-round series, 3-2 – a series they’d once led, 3-0.
With starting goalie Roberto Luongo having struggled in his last two starts, and with a history of poor playoff performances at the United Center, the coach made the bold decision to go with Cory Schneider.
Now fast forward to the third period of the game. The score’s tied at three and Schneider has cramped up.
Enter Luongo, who made 12 saves before this happened in overtime.
Tonight will mark Luongo’s first return to the United Center. This time, he’ll get the start.
“One of my favorite barns to play in,” he said today, as reported by Tim Sassone of the Daily Herald. “I’ve had some great games in here, some not so great games.”
So far this season, Luongo’s had more “not so great games” than he’d like. Friday against the Blues, he made a couple of big saves to keep his team in the game, but the winning goal by St. Louis was like a lot goals that have been scored against the Canucks in 2011-12 – Luongo could’ve done better, but the defensive coverage could’ve been a lot better.
The Canucks (6-7-1) have lost two straight and sit two points back of a playoff spot in the Western Conference.
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 2
- Discuss: Bruins find scoring touch in Game 2 win over Rangers 19
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 63
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 44
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 56
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 27
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (94)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Live Extra: Watch live coverage of Penguins-Senators
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles