Nov 6, 2011, 12:12 AM EDT
Garth Snow must be a happy man tonight. The New York Islanders ended their six-game losing streak in about the best way possible on Saturday:
1. They generated a 5-3 win against a legitimate Stanley Cup contender in the Washington Capitals.
2. The Islanders came back from a 2-0 deficit, showing some heart and toughness along the way.
3. Rick DiPietro earned his first win of the season, a fact that probably delighted Snow almost as much as the embattled goalie.
My guess is that win covered quite a bit of Snow’s wish list, although he might be a little pickier (especially since it’s possible to lay much of the blame on Tomas Vokoun, who tends to be really “off” in his rare off nights). The important thing is that the Isles kept themselves in the mix in the increasingly unpredictable East, a conference where no team is more than nine points from first place.*
So what’s next on the wish list? I’d nominate “earning their first road win of the season.”
* – As of this writing, at least.
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 29
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 37
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 17
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 43
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (39)