Nov 6, 2011, 12:12 AM EDT
Garth Snow must be a happy man tonight. The New York Islanders ended their six-game losing streak in about the best way possible on Saturday:
1. They generated a 5-3 win against a legitimate Stanley Cup contender in the Washington Capitals.
2. The Islanders came back from a 2-0 deficit, showing some heart and toughness along the way.
3. Rick DiPietro earned his first win of the season, a fact that probably delighted Snow almost as much as the embattled goalie.
My guess is that win covered quite a bit of Snow’s wish list, although he might be a little pickier (especially since it’s possible to lay much of the blame on Tomas Vokoun, who tends to be really “off” in his rare off nights). The important thing is that the Isles kept themselves in the mix in the increasingly unpredictable East, a conference where no team is more than nine points from first place.*
So what’s next on the wish list? I’d nominate “earning their first road win of the season.”
* – As of this writing, at least.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 4
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 26
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 18
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 60
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)