Nov 6, 2011, 5:47 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars defeated the Carolina Hurricanes 5-2 this afternoon, their 10th win of the season.
With that, Dallas became the first team to hit the 10-win mark, moved atop the Western Conference and drew within one point of Pittsburgh for the overall league lead.
Not bad for a team with the NHL’s fourth-lowest payroll that filed for bankruptcy in September, hey?
The Stars are now officially the surprise story of this young season. Toronto’s hot start has been stunning as well, but the Leafs didn’t lose their leading scorer (Brad Richards) in the offseason.
(In fact, the Leafs tried to acquire him.)
So there’s little question Dallas is the NHL’s biggest surprise. But within the Dallas room, it’s tough to pick who has surprised the most. It could be G Kari Lehtonen, with his league-best 10-1-0 record. It could be Sheldon Souray, fifth amongst all defensemen in scoring. It could be LW Jamie Benn, who has never scored more than 56 points in a season but is on pace for 89 this year. It could be head coach Glen Gulutzan, who two years ago was coaching the ECHL’s Las Vegas Wranglers.
Whatever the case, it’s safe to say that few saw this coming.
The Stars are going to be a really interesting team to watch this week. Today’s contest in Carolina was the first of a four-game roadie that continues to Washington (fifth in the NHL), Pittsburgh (first in the NHL) and Detroit (4-2-1 at the Joe thus far). Without looking past the Caps game, everybody had the Nov. 11 date in Pittsburgh circled because it was a potential return date for Sidney Crosby.
Imagine if it’s Crosby’s return and a battle of the NHL’s top-two teams?
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 30
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 43
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (43)