Nov 6, 2011, 1:16 PM EDT
If you thought yesterday’s 9-2 loss to the Flyers was going to bring instant change to the Blue Jackets, think again. The Columbus Dispatch reports that coach Scott Arniel was on the ice this morning with his team for a practice at Nationwide Arena.
And what about general manager Scott Howson? Still employed too. He was in the stands watching practice with team president Mike Priest.
We wrote Friday that this could be the week jobs are lost as the Jackets have four days off before their next game on Thursday. Last night in Philly, a housecleaning was bordering on “foregone conclusion” territory.
Just because no changes have been made yet doesn’t mean none are forthcoming.
Columbus is now 2-11-1, 10 points back of eighth-place Los Angeles. I’m no bookie, but I’d say their chances of making the playoffs are around 50 to 1. The New Jersey Devils got off to a dreadful start last year (10-29-2 after 41 games) and made an admirable second-half run, but ultimately the Devils fell 12 points shy of eighth place. So really, they weren’t even close.
To be fair, the Jackets are only 14 games into the season; however, to match last season’s eighth-place record in the Western Conference, they’d have to go 42-18-7.
At this point, you have to wonder if the Jackets will start shedding salary to mitigate the financial losses that continued poor attendance will surely cause.
What would you do if you were the owner?
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 6
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 15
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)