Nov 6, 2011, 1:16 PM EDT
If you thought yesterday’s 9-2 loss to the Flyers was going to bring instant change to the Blue Jackets, think again. The Columbus Dispatch reports that coach Scott Arniel was on the ice this morning with his team for a practice at Nationwide Arena.
And what about general manager Scott Howson? Still employed too. He was in the stands watching practice with team president Mike Priest.
We wrote Friday that this could be the week jobs are lost as the Jackets have four days off before their next game on Thursday. Last night in Philly, a housecleaning was bordering on “foregone conclusion” territory.
Just because no changes have been made yet doesn’t mean none are forthcoming.
Columbus is now 2-11-1, 10 points back of eighth-place Los Angeles. I’m no bookie, but I’d say their chances of making the playoffs are around 50 to 1. The New Jersey Devils got off to a dreadful start last year (10-29-2 after 41 games) and made an admirable second-half run, but ultimately the Devils fell 12 points shy of eighth place. So really, they weren’t even close.
To be fair, the Jackets are only 14 games into the season; however, to match last season’s eighth-place record in the Western Conference, they’d have to go 42-18-7.
At this point, you have to wonder if the Jackets will start shedding salary to mitigate the financial losses that continued poor attendance will surely cause.
What would you do if you were the owner?
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 67
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 7
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 32
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 74
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 6
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 8
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona