Nov 5, 2011, 1:31 PM EDT
Tonight’s Ducks-Red Wings game in Detroit instead of being a marquee battle between two teams loaded with talent is instead a battle of teams in desperate need of a slump buster. Detroit has famously lost six in a row while the Ducks have lost four straight and seven of their last eight.
U-G-L-Y they ain’t got no alibi, they ugly.
Who blinks first here? Anaheim has been competitive in their losses while the Red Wings have looked like a team sapped of any and all confidence. On the upside, for Detroit their offense will eventually come around.
It’s statistically unlikely that they’ll be able to continue shooting just 6.2% on the season. Getting their power play back to its lofty levels from last season would help out as well. Instead of having one of the top units in the league, they’re in the middle of the pack. Getting Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg rolling would do a world of good.
For Anaheim, they’ve gotten solid scoring from their top line of Corey Perry, Bobby Ryan, and Ryan Getzlaf as well as from Teemu Selanne. Getting any kind of help from the rest of the lineup would be a huge boost to a team that’s essentially rolling with just four guys doing anything. Making sure that Jonas Hiller continues to bounce back from his awful start against Washington would help too.
Perhaps all these two need to settle things out is to have their two best players duke it out one more time and get it out of their system. What do you say Pavel, Corey? One more time? (Courtesy of HockeyFights.com)
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)