Nov 5, 2011, 1:31 PM EDT
Tonight’s Ducks-Red Wings game in Detroit instead of being a marquee battle between two teams loaded with talent is instead a battle of teams in desperate need of a slump buster. Detroit has famously lost six in a row while the Ducks have lost four straight and seven of their last eight.
U-G-L-Y they ain’t got no alibi, they ugly.
Who blinks first here? Anaheim has been competitive in their losses while the Red Wings have looked like a team sapped of any and all confidence. On the upside, for Detroit their offense will eventually come around.
It’s statistically unlikely that they’ll be able to continue shooting just 6.2% on the season. Getting their power play back to its lofty levels from last season would help out as well. Instead of having one of the top units in the league, they’re in the middle of the pack. Getting Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg rolling would do a world of good.
For Anaheim, they’ve gotten solid scoring from their top line of Corey Perry, Bobby Ryan, and Ryan Getzlaf as well as from Teemu Selanne. Getting any kind of help from the rest of the lineup would be a huge boost to a team that’s essentially rolling with just four guys doing anything. Making sure that Jonas Hiller continues to bounce back from his awful start against Washington would help too.
Perhaps all these two need to settle things out is to have their two best players duke it out one more time and get it out of their system. What do you say Pavel, Corey? One more time? (Courtesy of HockeyFights.com)
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 9
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 3
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)