Nov 5, 2011, 1:31 PM EDT
Tonight’s Ducks-Red Wings game in Detroit instead of being a marquee battle between two teams loaded with talent is instead a battle of teams in desperate need of a slump buster. Detroit has famously lost six in a row while the Ducks have lost four straight and seven of their last eight.
U-G-L-Y they ain’t got no alibi, they ugly.
Who blinks first here? Anaheim has been competitive in their losses while the Red Wings have looked like a team sapped of any and all confidence. On the upside, for Detroit their offense will eventually come around.
It’s statistically unlikely that they’ll be able to continue shooting just 6.2% on the season. Getting their power play back to its lofty levels from last season would help out as well. Instead of having one of the top units in the league, they’re in the middle of the pack. Getting Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg rolling would do a world of good.
For Anaheim, they’ve gotten solid scoring from their top line of Corey Perry, Bobby Ryan, and Ryan Getzlaf as well as from Teemu Selanne. Getting any kind of help from the rest of the lineup would be a huge boost to a team that’s essentially rolling with just four guys doing anything. Making sure that Jonas Hiller continues to bounce back from his awful start against Washington would help too.
Perhaps all these two need to settle things out is to have their two best players duke it out one more time and get it out of their system. What do you say Pavel, Corey? One more time? (Courtesy of HockeyFights.com)
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 38
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 26
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 32
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)