Nov 5, 2011, 1:31 PM EST
Tonight’s Ducks-Red Wings game in Detroit instead of being a marquee battle between two teams loaded with talent is instead a battle of teams in desperate need of a slump buster. Detroit has famously lost six in a row while the Ducks have lost four straight and seven of their last eight.
U-G-L-Y they ain’t got no alibi, they ugly.
Who blinks first here? Anaheim has been competitive in their losses while the Red Wings have looked like a team sapped of any and all confidence. On the upside, for Detroit their offense will eventually come around.
It’s statistically unlikely that they’ll be able to continue shooting just 6.2% on the season. Getting their power play back to its lofty levels from last season would help out as well. Instead of having one of the top units in the league, they’re in the middle of the pack. Getting Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg rolling would do a world of good.
For Anaheim, they’ve gotten solid scoring from their top line of Corey Perry, Bobby Ryan, and Ryan Getzlaf as well as from Teemu Selanne. Getting any kind of help from the rest of the lineup would be a huge boost to a team that’s essentially rolling with just four guys doing anything. Making sure that Jonas Hiller continues to bounce back from his awful start against Washington would help too.
Perhaps all these two need to settle things out is to have their two best players duke it out one more time and get it out of their system. What do you say Pavel, Corey? One more time? (Courtesy of HockeyFights.com)
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)