Nov 5, 2011, 11:30 PM EDT
With the sniper galloping to a league-leading 21 points, it’s likely that Phil Kessel trade remorse was at an all-time low in Toronto heading into Saturday’s game against Boston. The needle probably moved back a few notches in the negative direction after Tyler Seguin scored a hat trick as the Bruins beat the Maple Leafs 7-0, though.
As Stanley Cup of Chowder points out, the hat trick takes on greater narrative meaning because Seguin grew up near Toronto and ostensibly could have been theirs if they didn’t make that oft-criticized deal.
In many peoples’ minds, the Bruins already won that deal the moment GM Peter Chiarelli realized he had the second pick in 2010 (while wearing a Maple Leafs-themed tie, no less).* It doesn’t matter much to them that Kessel still has seven more points on the season and his team remains nine points ahead in the standings.
The rest of us will wait for at least the next few years to play out before it is truly known who “won,” so nights like these are interesting battles in that figurative war.
* – Naturally, Kessel and Seguin weren’t the only players involved in that trade, but it’s more fun/cruel to boil it down to fates of those two players, isn’t it?
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 0
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 9
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 17
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 13
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)