Nov 5, 2011, 10:45 PM EDT
Sean Avery played tonight to the excessive delight of New York Rangers fans, but you’d have to stretch the boundaries of reason to say that he made a difference in their 5-3 win against the Montreal Canadiens. According to the box score, Avery delivered one hit, landed one shot on goal and received less than five minutes of ice time.
If you want an analogy for John Tortorella and Glen Sather’s cold war regarding the use of Avery, here’s an attempt: it’s the equivalent to a middle manager begrudgingly giving a troubled employee a second shot because that guy is his boss’s nephew.
Avery is a headline maker on skates – and yes, he does possess some hockey talent, although that caveat has been beaten to death at this point – but it’s unlikely that he’ll get too far out of Torts’ doghouse this season.
In a way it’s a great thing because it deflects attention from the Rangers’ other problems (see: Staal, Marc), but few players boast such a warped production-to-attention ratio. This season might be Avery’s last chance to keep that spotlight shining on him, though, so we’ll see if he can make the most of his opportunities – however limited they may be.
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 17
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 24
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 58
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (58)