Nov 5, 2011, 11:48 AM EDT
Going through a NHL season is never easy, but the Devils are going to have life made especially rough tonight against Winnipeg. They’ll be going to battle without star winger Ilya Kovalchuk as well as top defenseman Andy Greene thanks to separate injuries.
Tom Gulitti of Fire & Ice says that Kovalchuk is sitting it out with a pulled muscle in his leg that he doesn’t want to make worse while Greene is missing his second straight game with a lower body injury. To make things more interesting, the Devils should all tie one hand behind their backs to top it all off.
The Devils had enough issues on Thursday night keeping up with the Maple Leafs and figuring out a way to keep the Jets held down and to outscore them should be tricky enough. The main thing we’ll be eyeballing is how Zach Parise handles being without Kovalchuk. The two haven’t flourished so far this year playing together and Parise going without him tonight will make him “the man” on offense. Does he break out or do the struggles continue?
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)