Nov 4, 2011, 12:25 PM EDT
Cheering for Dennis Wideman can be a challenge at times. Google “Dennis Wideman mistakes” and the top result is a Boston message-board thread entitled “Dennis Wideman is killing me slowly.” The second result is a Facebook page entitled “DWD (Dennis Wideman Disease) Therapy Group.”
So yeah, he’s been known to make the odd blunder.
Wideman, a defenseman, has only been in the NHL since 2005, yet he’s already played on four teams. Currently he’s in Washington, and with the injury to Mike Green (sprained ankle), he’s being asked to step up in a big way. In each of the past three games, Wideman has been on the ice for over 23 minutes.
So far, the reviews have been extremely positive. Teammate Brooks Laich says Wideman “may be playing the best hockey I’ve ever seen him play.”
Wideman’s 10 points ranks him seventh among NHL defensemen.
“He’s very confident with the puck,” Laich added, as reported by CSNWashington.com. “He makes a lot of plays into the middle of the ice. A lot of defensemen will take the safe play and throw it off the wall, but his head is always up and he makes confident sharp passes up the middle of the ice and that allows us to transition out of our zone rather than getting stuck in scrums on the wall.”
Cue the bitter Bruins fans saying they could’ve used a few more “safe plays” out of the guy.
Green will miss his fourth straight game tonight when the Caps take on the Hurricanes in Carolina, and with a game in Long Island tomorrow, you have to think it’ll be at least five games in the press box before he’s ready to return.
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 1
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 49
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)