Nov 4, 2011, 3:51 PM EST
Tampa Bay rookie Brett Connolly isn’t easing into his new life as a rich professional athlete. The 19-year-old rookie is fully embracing it.
Damian Cristodero of the St. Pete Times reports that Connolly has purchased a new Range Rover to celebrate his status as a full-fledged NHLer. The Lightning recently announced they’d be keeping the sixth overall pick from the 2010 draft as opposed to returning him to Prince George of the WHL, where he would still be poor.
Sadly, it doesn’t sound like Connolly will be going full Judge Smails with his newfound wealth. (Sad because I’d like to hear a 19-year-old say how the world needs ditch diggers, too.) In addition to shelling out for his new ride, he’s also planning to take his parents on a vacation.
“I’ve got to pay them back,” he said. “A lot of sacrifices by them, a ton of money put it, early mornings. I’ve got to repay them somehow.”
So that’s what Connolly’s doing. What would you buy with your first NHL paycheck? Let’s open it up in the comments section.
I’ve narrowed down my list to three items. First is an exotic animal of some sort, because nothing says rich like owning a tiger or panda. Next option is a butler. Even if I still lived in an apartment and he had to sleep on the couch, having a butler answering the door would be cool. Final option would be a judge or cop in my pocket. Professional athletes are always getting into trouble. Nice to have someone on the payroll that can make things go away.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)