Nov 4, 2011, 3:51 PM EDT
Tampa Bay rookie Brett Connolly isn’t easing into his new life as a rich professional athlete. The 19-year-old rookie is fully embracing it.
Damian Cristodero of the St. Pete Times reports that Connolly has purchased a new Range Rover to celebrate his status as a full-fledged NHLer. The Lightning recently announced they’d be keeping the sixth overall pick from the 2010 draft as opposed to returning him to Prince George of the WHL, where he would still be poor.
Sadly, it doesn’t sound like Connolly will be going full Judge Smails with his newfound wealth. (Sad because I’d like to hear a 19-year-old say how the world needs ditch diggers, too.) In addition to shelling out for his new ride, he’s also planning to take his parents on a vacation.
“I’ve got to pay them back,” he said. “A lot of sacrifices by them, a ton of money put it, early mornings. I’ve got to repay them somehow.”
So that’s what Connolly’s doing. What would you buy with your first NHL paycheck? Let’s open it up in the comments section.
I’ve narrowed down my list to three items. First is an exotic animal of some sort, because nothing says rich like owning a tiger or panda. Next option is a butler. Even if I still lived in an apartment and he had to sleep on the couch, having a butler answering the door would be cool. Final option would be a judge or cop in my pocket. Professional athletes are always getting into trouble. Nice to have someone on the payroll that can make things go away.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 0
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 4
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 17
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 17
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 53