Nov 4, 2011, 3:51 PM EST
Tampa Bay rookie Brett Connolly isn’t easing into his new life as a rich professional athlete. The 19-year-old rookie is fully embracing it.
Damian Cristodero of the St. Pete Times reports that Connolly has purchased a new Range Rover to celebrate his status as a full-fledged NHLer. The Lightning recently announced they’d be keeping the sixth overall pick from the 2010 draft as opposed to returning him to Prince George of the WHL, where he would still be poor.
Sadly, it doesn’t sound like Connolly will be going full Judge Smails with his newfound wealth. (Sad because I’d like to hear a 19-year-old say how the world needs ditch diggers, too.) In addition to shelling out for his new ride, he’s also planning to take his parents on a vacation.
“I’ve got to pay them back,” he said. “A lot of sacrifices by them, a ton of money put it, early mornings. I’ve got to repay them somehow.”
So that’s what Connolly’s doing. What would you buy with your first NHL paycheck? Let’s open it up in the comments section.
I’ve narrowed down my list to three items. First is an exotic animal of some sort, because nothing says rich like owning a tiger or panda. Next option is a butler. Even if I still lived in an apartment and he had to sleep on the couch, having a butler answering the door would be cool. Final option would be a judge or cop in my pocket. Professional athletes are always getting into trouble. Nice to have someone on the payroll that can make things go away.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 27
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 14
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 82
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (82)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)