Nov 4, 2011, 3:51 PM EST
Tampa Bay rookie Brett Connolly isn’t easing into his new life as a rich professional athlete. The 19-year-old rookie is fully embracing it.
Damian Cristodero of the St. Pete Times reports that Connolly has purchased a new Range Rover to celebrate his status as a full-fledged NHLer. The Lightning recently announced they’d be keeping the sixth overall pick from the 2010 draft as opposed to returning him to Prince George of the WHL, where he would still be poor.
Sadly, it doesn’t sound like Connolly will be going full Judge Smails with his newfound wealth. (Sad because I’d like to hear a 19-year-old say how the world needs ditch diggers, too.) In addition to shelling out for his new ride, he’s also planning to take his parents on a vacation.
“I’ve got to pay them back,” he said. “A lot of sacrifices by them, a ton of money put it, early mornings. I’ve got to repay them somehow.”
So that’s what Connolly’s doing. What would you buy with your first NHL paycheck? Let’s open it up in the comments section.
I’ve narrowed down my list to three items. First is an exotic animal of some sort, because nothing says rich like owning a tiger or panda. Next option is a butler. Even if I still lived in an apartment and he had to sleep on the couch, having a butler answering the door would be cool. Final option would be a judge or cop in my pocket. Professional athletes are always getting into trouble. Nice to have someone on the payroll that can make things go away.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 13
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 76
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 4
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)