Nov 4, 2011, 3:51 PM EST
Tampa Bay rookie Brett Connolly isn’t easing into his new life as a rich professional athlete. The 19-year-old rookie is fully embracing it.
Damian Cristodero of the St. Pete Times reports that Connolly has purchased a new Range Rover to celebrate his status as a full-fledged NHLer. The Lightning recently announced they’d be keeping the sixth overall pick from the 2010 draft as opposed to returning him to Prince George of the WHL, where he would still be poor.
Sadly, it doesn’t sound like Connolly will be going full Judge Smails with his newfound wealth. (Sad because I’d like to hear a 19-year-old say how the world needs ditch diggers, too.) In addition to shelling out for his new ride, he’s also planning to take his parents on a vacation.
“I’ve got to pay them back,” he said. “A lot of sacrifices by them, a ton of money put it, early mornings. I’ve got to repay them somehow.”
So that’s what Connolly’s doing. What would you buy with your first NHL paycheck? Let’s open it up in the comments section.
I’ve narrowed down my list to three items. First is an exotic animal of some sort, because nothing says rich like owning a tiger or panda. Next option is a butler. Even if I still lived in an apartment and he had to sleep on the couch, having a butler answering the door would be cool. Final option would be a judge or cop in my pocket. Professional athletes are always getting into trouble. Nice to have someone on the payroll that can make things go away.
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 1
- Devils fire DeBoer 18
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 16
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)