Nov 4, 2011, 7:36 PM EST
This is the Weekend Watch. It’s a guide of what to watch this weekend.
Saturday: Montreal at New York Rangers, 7pm ET
This will be Sean Avery’s season debut at MSG. (The small print on that banner reads “Send Torts To The Whale”, in case you were wondering.) I honestly have no idea what to expect — the demotion to Connecticut might’ve humbled Avery, but the quick recall and show of support from the Ranger faithful might’ve neutralized it. Avery could play 11 very ordinary minutes against the Habs, or he could incite a riot. Anything is possible. (Or as Kevin Garnett would say, ANYTHING IS POSSIBLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLE!)
Saturday: Boston at Toronto, 7pm ET
The Leafs are atop the Northeast division. The Bruins are in the basement. The Leafs haven’t lost in regulation at home. The Bruins have just one win on the road. Up is down. Left is right. The new NHL and different and scary and I don’t like it.
Saturday: Anaheim at Detroit, 7pm ET
A very sneaky “both teams are pissed, this could get ugly” game. Detroit’s scoring woes and six-game losing streak are well documented, but the Ducks aren’t in much better spirits. This will be the finale of Anaheim’s seven-game road trip (one that hasn’t gone especially well) and the Ducks have already participated in two testy, fight-filled affairs with the Predators and Blue Jackets this season.
Saturday: Edmonton at Phoenix, 10pm ET
I’m officially moving Edmonton into “must-watch” territory. Can you blame me? The Oilers have won six straight and sit atop both the Northwest Division and Western Conference — and the team’s average age is like 15 years old. I’m also super curious to see how this game plays out for Nikolai Khabibulin. The last time he was in Arizona, it was to serve hard time at Maricopa County Jail. That kind of thing sticks with a man.
Sunday: Vancouver at Chicago, 7pm ET
That is all.
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 13
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 53
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)