Nov 4, 2011, 7:36 PM EDT
This is the Weekend Watch. It’s a guide of what to watch this weekend.
Saturday: Montreal at New York Rangers, 7pm ET
This will be Sean Avery’s season debut at MSG. (The small print on that banner reads “Send Torts To The Whale”, in case you were wondering.) I honestly have no idea what to expect — the demotion to Connecticut might’ve humbled Avery, but the quick recall and show of support from the Ranger faithful might’ve neutralized it. Avery could play 11 very ordinary minutes against the Habs, or he could incite a riot. Anything is possible. (Or as Kevin Garnett would say, ANYTHING IS POSSIBLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLE!)
Saturday: Boston at Toronto, 7pm ET
The Leafs are atop the Northeast division. The Bruins are in the basement. The Leafs haven’t lost in regulation at home. The Bruins have just one win on the road. Up is down. Left is right. The new NHL and different and scary and I don’t like it.
Saturday: Anaheim at Detroit, 7pm ET
A very sneaky “both teams are pissed, this could get ugly” game. Detroit’s scoring woes and six-game losing streak are well documented, but the Ducks aren’t in much better spirits. This will be the finale of Anaheim’s seven-game road trip (one that hasn’t gone especially well) and the Ducks have already participated in two testy, fight-filled affairs with the Predators and Blue Jackets this season.
Saturday: Edmonton at Phoenix, 10pm ET
I’m officially moving Edmonton into “must-watch” territory. Can you blame me? The Oilers have won six straight and sit atop both the Northwest Division and Western Conference — and the team’s average age is like 15 years old. I’m also super curious to see how this game plays out for Nikolai Khabibulin. The last time he was in Arizona, it was to serve hard time at Maricopa County Jail. That kind of thing sticks with a man.
Sunday: Vancouver at Chicago, 7pm ET
That is all.
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 9
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 18
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)