Nov 4, 2011, 5:37 PM EST
Early-season statistical analysis is a dangerous game, but that shouldn’t stop us from playing it.
Case in point: The St. Louis powerplay.
It’s probably too early to say the Blues are bad with the man advantage. But it’s not too early to say there are trends suggesting the Blues are bad with the man advantage.
The Blues have had 36 powerplay opportunities this season. On those opportunities they’ve put 40 shots on goal, yet only scored three times. That’s left them with a power play percentage of 8.3, the worst in the league.
Nobody’s really sure how this came to be, especially considering St. Louis had the NHL’s 10th-best powerplay a year ago.
Losing Andy McDonald to a concussion hurt, as he led the team in PP points last season. Their slumping forwards hurt, especially reigning PHT 1st Dud of the Week Chris Stewart. And the aforementioned shots on goal total hurts, because averaging one shot per powerplay is brutal.
“I think early on, there was some execution that didn’t get in the net and then all of the sudden, we kind of got ourselves spun into a number of different situations where the unit’s changing and Andy [McDonald’s] out,” Blues coach Davis Payne told NHL.com. “Now all of a sudden, we have trouble getting the puck in the zone. I don’t think that’s as much of an issue now. Now you see teams really coming at us because they know we haven’t scored a bunch of power-play goals.”
The Blues will try to get the PP on track tonight at home against Vancouver (which just so happens to be “Cardinals Night with the Blues” at Scottrade.) While the Canucks are one of the many teams that prevented St. Louis from scoring on the powerplay this year, the Blues did whip Vancouver 3-0 last time out.
One guy to watch tonight? Alex Steen. The noted Canuck killer (11pts in 15 career games vs. Vancouver) leads all Blues in goals this year and is averaging 2:18 of PP time per game.
- Byfuglien out 2-4 weeks with upper-body injury; Little hurt, too 8
- Bettman concedes there are ‘some members of the NHL family who would like to see fewer shootouts’ 35
- Season over: Avs lose MacKinnon to broken foot 18
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 18
- Bruins sign Krug and Smith to contract extensions 35
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 15
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 9
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 21
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 32