Nov 4, 2011, 5:37 PM EST
Early-season statistical analysis is a dangerous game, but that shouldn’t stop us from playing it.
Case in point: The St. Louis powerplay.
It’s probably too early to say the Blues are bad with the man advantage. But it’s not too early to say there are trends suggesting the Blues are bad with the man advantage.
The Blues have had 36 powerplay opportunities this season. On those opportunities they’ve put 40 shots on goal, yet only scored three times. That’s left them with a power play percentage of 8.3, the worst in the league.
Nobody’s really sure how this came to be, especially considering St. Louis had the NHL’s 10th-best powerplay a year ago.
Losing Andy McDonald to a concussion hurt, as he led the team in PP points last season. Their slumping forwards hurt, especially reigning PHT 1st Dud of the Week Chris Stewart. And the aforementioned shots on goal total hurts, because averaging one shot per powerplay is brutal.
“I think early on, there was some execution that didn’t get in the net and then all of the sudden, we kind of got ourselves spun into a number of different situations where the unit’s changing and Andy [McDonald's] out,” Blues coach Davis Payne told NHL.com. “Now all of a sudden, we have trouble getting the puck in the zone. I don’t think that’s as much of an issue now. Now you see teams really coming at us because they know we haven’t scored a bunch of power-play goals.”
The Blues will try to get the PP on track tonight at home against Vancouver (which just so happens to be “Cardinals Night with the Blues” at Scottrade.) While the Canucks are one of the many teams that prevented St. Louis from scoring on the powerplay this year, the Blues did whip Vancouver 3-0 last time out.
One guy to watch tonight? Alex Steen. The noted Canuck killer (11pts in 15 career games vs. Vancouver) leads all Blues in goals this year and is averaging 2:18 of PP time per game.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)