Nov 4, 2011, 1:52 PM EDT
According to the New York Rangers’ official Twitter feed, Sean Avery will make his 2011-12 debut on Saturday at MSG against the Montreal Canadiens. Head coach John Tortorella said there may be other lineup moves made prior to the game (Wojtek Wolski underwent an MRI, Mike Rupp is getting his knee scoped) but that Avery will play no matter what against the Habs.
Avery’s return marks another newsworthy moment in a career filled with them. Many figured his demotion to New York’s AHL affiliate in Connecticut was a goodbye to the NHL — upon waiving Avery, Tortorella said, “I don’t want to throw dirt on the guy, but we’re a better club now.” Avery himself said he didn’t expect to play for the Rangers again.
Yet 11 games later, he’s back in the show.
“I’m excited,” Avery said after today’s practice. “I feel good, for sure. We want to string some wins together, that’s what it’s all about. We’ve had a couple good games going into Saturday.”
There’s still no confirmation on exactly where or with whom Avery will play, although Andrew Gross of The Bergen Record said he assumes it’ll be with Erik Christensen and Andre Deveaux. The two had previously been centered by Artem Anisimov on New York’s fourth line.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 3
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 19
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 17
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)