Nov 4, 2011, 1:52 PM EDT
According to the New York Rangers’ official Twitter feed, Sean Avery will make his 2011-12 debut on Saturday at MSG against the Montreal Canadiens. Head coach John Tortorella said there may be other lineup moves made prior to the game (Wojtek Wolski underwent an MRI, Mike Rupp is getting his knee scoped) but that Avery will play no matter what against the Habs.
Avery’s return marks another newsworthy moment in a career filled with them. Many figured his demotion to New York’s AHL affiliate in Connecticut was a goodbye to the NHL — upon waiving Avery, Tortorella said, “I don’t want to throw dirt on the guy, but we’re a better club now.” Avery himself said he didn’t expect to play for the Rangers again.
Yet 11 games later, he’s back in the show.
“I’m excited,” Avery said after today’s practice. “I feel good, for sure. We want to string some wins together, that’s what it’s all about. We’ve had a couple good games going into Saturday.”
There’s still no confirmation on exactly where or with whom Avery will play, although Andrew Gross of The Bergen Record said he assumes it’ll be with Erik Christensen and Andre Deveaux. The two had previously been centered by Artem Anisimov on New York’s fourth line.
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 47
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 24
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 39
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 30
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 9
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 40
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)