Nov 4, 2011, 1:52 PM EST
According to the New York Rangers’ official Twitter feed, Sean Avery will make his 2011-12 debut on Saturday at MSG against the Montreal Canadiens. Head coach John Tortorella said there may be other lineup moves made prior to the game (Wojtek Wolski underwent an MRI, Mike Rupp is getting his knee scoped) but that Avery will play no matter what against the Habs.
Avery’s return marks another newsworthy moment in a career filled with them. Many figured his demotion to New York’s AHL affiliate in Connecticut was a goodbye to the NHL — upon waiving Avery, Tortorella said, “I don’t want to throw dirt on the guy, but we’re a better club now.” Avery himself said he didn’t expect to play for the Rangers again.
Yet 11 games later, he’s back in the show.
“I’m excited,” Avery said after today’s practice. “I feel good, for sure. We want to string some wins together, that’s what it’s all about. We’ve had a couple good games going into Saturday.”
There’s still no confirmation on exactly where or with whom Avery will play, although Andrew Gross of The Bergen Record said he assumes it’ll be with Erik Christensen and Andre Deveaux. The two had previously been centered by Artem Anisimov on New York’s fourth line.
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 15
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 2
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 16
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 9
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)