Nov 4, 2011, 2:29 PM EDT
Here’s the latest on the “James Reimer doesn’t have a concussion even though all signs point to a concussion” front: Toronto Maple Leafs coach Ron Wilson told reporters today that Reimer has plateaued in his recovery, will pull back from on-ice workouts and won’t play on Saturday when the Leafs host the Bruins.
“We’ve got the healthy guys and they’re doing the job, so we’ll give James plenty of time to recover,” Wilson told TSN Radio 1050. “There’s no rush to get him back.”
Unlike most of the Reimer-related statements Toronto has issued, this one is actually believable. The Leafs haven’t missed a beat while being backstopped by Jonas Gustavsson and, most recently, Ben Scrivens. Gustavsson has gone 4-2-0 since Reimer was knocked out of the Oct. 22 game against Montreal while Scrivens stopped 38 shots in a 4-1 win over Columbus last night.
As such, the Leafs are 9-3-1 on the year and now tied with Pittsburgh for top spot in the NHL. (This, along with the fact Edmonton is in third, could be a sign of the apocalypse. Be on the lookout for locusts.)
Unfortunately for the Leafs, the good vibes that come with winning haven’t overshadowed the confusion emanating from the Reimer issue.
Here’s the National Post’s Bruce Arthur asking what everybody wants to know:
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 39
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)