Nov 4, 2011, 2:29 PM EDT
Here’s the latest on the “James Reimer doesn’t have a concussion even though all signs point to a concussion” front: Toronto Maple Leafs coach Ron Wilson told reporters today that Reimer has plateaued in his recovery, will pull back from on-ice workouts and won’t play on Saturday when the Leafs host the Bruins.
“We’ve got the healthy guys and they’re doing the job, so we’ll give James plenty of time to recover,” Wilson told TSN Radio 1050. “There’s no rush to get him back.”
Unlike most of the Reimer-related statements Toronto has issued, this one is actually believable. The Leafs haven’t missed a beat while being backstopped by Jonas Gustavsson and, most recently, Ben Scrivens. Gustavsson has gone 4-2-0 since Reimer was knocked out of the Oct. 22 game against Montreal while Scrivens stopped 38 shots in a 4-1 win over Columbus last night.
As such, the Leafs are 9-3-1 on the year and now tied with Pittsburgh for top spot in the NHL. (This, along with the fact Edmonton is in third, could be a sign of the apocalypse. Be on the lookout for locusts.)
Unfortunately for the Leafs, the good vibes that come with winning haven’t overshadowed the confusion emanating from the Reimer issue.
Here’s the National Post’s Bruce Arthur asking what everybody wants to know:
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 27
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 43
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (43)