Nov 4, 2011, 2:29 PM EDT
Here’s the latest on the “James Reimer doesn’t have a concussion even though all signs point to a concussion” front: Toronto Maple Leafs coach Ron Wilson told reporters today that Reimer has plateaued in his recovery, will pull back from on-ice workouts and won’t play on Saturday when the Leafs host the Bruins.
“We’ve got the healthy guys and they’re doing the job, so we’ll give James plenty of time to recover,” Wilson told TSN Radio 1050. “There’s no rush to get him back.”
Unlike most of the Reimer-related statements Toronto has issued, this one is actually believable. The Leafs haven’t missed a beat while being backstopped by Jonas Gustavsson and, most recently, Ben Scrivens. Gustavsson has gone 4-2-0 since Reimer was knocked out of the Oct. 22 game against Montreal while Scrivens stopped 38 shots in a 4-1 win over Columbus last night.
As such, the Leafs are 9-3-1 on the year and now tied with Pittsburgh for top spot in the NHL. (This, along with the fact Edmonton is in third, could be a sign of the apocalypse. Be on the lookout for locusts.)
Unfortunately for the Leafs, the good vibes that come with winning haven’t overshadowed the confusion emanating from the Reimer issue.
Here’s the National Post’s Bruce Arthur asking what everybody wants to know:
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 25
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 6
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 14
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (25)