Nov 4, 2011, 2:29 PM EDT
Here’s the latest on the “James Reimer doesn’t have a concussion even though all signs point to a concussion” front: Toronto Maple Leafs coach Ron Wilson told reporters today that Reimer has plateaued in his recovery, will pull back from on-ice workouts and won’t play on Saturday when the Leafs host the Bruins.
“We’ve got the healthy guys and they’re doing the job, so we’ll give James plenty of time to recover,” Wilson told TSN Radio 1050. “There’s no rush to get him back.”
Unlike most of the Reimer-related statements Toronto has issued, this one is actually believable. The Leafs haven’t missed a beat while being backstopped by Jonas Gustavsson and, most recently, Ben Scrivens. Gustavsson has gone 4-2-0 since Reimer was knocked out of the Oct. 22 game against Montreal while Scrivens stopped 38 shots in a 4-1 win over Columbus last night.
As such, the Leafs are 9-3-1 on the year and now tied with Pittsburgh for top spot in the NHL. (This, along with the fact Edmonton is in third, could be a sign of the apocalypse. Be on the lookout for locusts.)
Unfortunately for the Leafs, the good vibes that come with winning haven’t overshadowed the confusion emanating from the Reimer issue.
Here’s the National Post’s Bruce Arthur asking what everybody wants to know:
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 56
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)