Nov 4, 2011, 2:29 PM EDT
Here’s the latest on the “James Reimer doesn’t have a concussion even though all signs point to a concussion” front: Toronto Maple Leafs coach Ron Wilson told reporters today that Reimer has plateaued in his recovery, will pull back from on-ice workouts and won’t play on Saturday when the Leafs host the Bruins.
“We’ve got the healthy guys and they’re doing the job, so we’ll give James plenty of time to recover,” Wilson told TSN Radio 1050. “There’s no rush to get him back.”
Unlike most of the Reimer-related statements Toronto has issued, this one is actually believable. The Leafs haven’t missed a beat while being backstopped by Jonas Gustavsson and, most recently, Ben Scrivens. Gustavsson has gone 4-2-0 since Reimer was knocked out of the Oct. 22 game against Montreal while Scrivens stopped 38 shots in a 4-1 win over Columbus last night.
As such, the Leafs are 9-3-1 on the year and now tied with Pittsburgh for top spot in the NHL. (This, along with the fact Edmonton is in third, could be a sign of the apocalypse. Be on the lookout for locusts.)
Unfortunately for the Leafs, the good vibes that come with winning haven’t overshadowed the confusion emanating from the Reimer issue.
Here’s the National Post’s Bruce Arthur asking what everybody wants to know:
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 24
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 73
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (74)