Nov 4, 2011, 4:21 PM EDT
Tim Panaccio of CSN Philadelphia reports that Flyers captain Chris Pronger is on schedule to resume playing next week.
Pronger, who has missed five games since suffering an eye injury against Toronto, has skated solo three times and appears primed to make his return next week, either in Tampa Bay (Nov. 9) or Florida (Nov. 13.)
Flyers GM Paul Holmgren met with the media today and wouldn’t confirm much, other than Pronger won’t play this weekend against Columbus.
“He won’t play. He’ll take part in the morning skate. He needs some practice time with the team before he comes back, but he’s getting closer,” Holmgren said. “We’ll see how he does over the next few days. Chris has been around the block a few times. I’m sure he’ll feel more comfortable once he gets some practice time in.”
Panaccio did present evidence suggesting Pronger’s close — he’s already missed five games after being expected to be out six. Panaccio also notes that Holmgren said Pronger’s vision is 20/20 and his return isn’t a matter of medical clearance, but rather getting up to speed.
“He’ll play when he is ready to play; it has nothing to do with him being medically cleared,” Holmgren explained. “Everything is fine. His eye is healed up. His vision is back to normal. With him, it’s more about getting some practice time.”
The Flyers could definitely use Pronger in the lineup. Their record sans-captain isn’t awful (2-2-1) but they’ve given up 20 goals in five games without him. Yeah yeah, I know nine of them came against the Jets.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)