Nov 4, 2011, 4:21 PM EDT
Tim Panaccio of CSN Philadelphia reports that Flyers captain Chris Pronger is on schedule to resume playing next week.
Pronger, who has missed five games since suffering an eye injury against Toronto, has skated solo three times and appears primed to make his return next week, either in Tampa Bay (Nov. 9) or Florida (Nov. 13.)
Flyers GM Paul Holmgren met with the media today and wouldn’t confirm much, other than Pronger won’t play this weekend against Columbus.
“He won’t play. He’ll take part in the morning skate. He needs some practice time with the team before he comes back, but he’s getting closer,” Holmgren said. “We’ll see how he does over the next few days. Chris has been around the block a few times. I’m sure he’ll feel more comfortable once he gets some practice time in.”
Panaccio did present evidence suggesting Pronger’s close — he’s already missed five games after being expected to be out six. Panaccio also notes that Holmgren said Pronger’s vision is 20/20 and his return isn’t a matter of medical clearance, but rather getting up to speed.
“He’ll play when he is ready to play; it has nothing to do with him being medically cleared,” Holmgren explained. “Everything is fine. His eye is healed up. His vision is back to normal. With him, it’s more about getting some practice time.”
The Flyers could definitely use Pronger in the lineup. Their record sans-captain isn’t awful (2-2-1) but they’ve given up 20 goals in five games without him. Yeah yeah, I know nine of them came against the Jets.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)