Nov 4, 2011, 4:21 PM EST
Tim Panaccio of CSN Philadelphia reports that Flyers captain Chris Pronger is on schedule to resume playing next week.
Pronger, who has missed five games since suffering an eye injury against Toronto, has skated solo three times and appears primed to make his return next week, either in Tampa Bay (Nov. 9) or Florida (Nov. 13.)
Flyers GM Paul Holmgren met with the media today and wouldn’t confirm much, other than Pronger won’t play this weekend against Columbus.
“He won’t play. He’ll take part in the morning skate. He needs some practice time with the team before he comes back, but he’s getting closer,” Holmgren said. “We’ll see how he does over the next few days. Chris has been around the block a few times. I’m sure he’ll feel more comfortable once he gets some practice time in.”
Panaccio did present evidence suggesting Pronger’s close — he’s already missed five games after being expected to be out six. Panaccio also notes that Holmgren said Pronger’s vision is 20/20 and his return isn’t a matter of medical clearance, but rather getting up to speed.
“He’ll play when he is ready to play; it has nothing to do with him being medically cleared,” Holmgren explained. “Everything is fine. His eye is healed up. His vision is back to normal. With him, it’s more about getting some practice time.”
The Flyers could definitely use Pronger in the lineup. Their record sans-captain isn’t awful (2-2-1) but they’ve given up 20 goals in five games without him. Yeah yeah, I know nine of them came against the Jets.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 18
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 48
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 39
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)