Nov 4, 2011, 6:37 PM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets are in Philadelphia to play the Flyers on Saturday, but it’s the day of their next game that’s really worth noting. That would be Thursday, when the Jackets host the Blackhawks.
Hmmm, what could happen when a team with a horrendous record gets four days off?
If coach Scott Arniel and/or general manager Scott Howson are going to be relieved of their duties, next week will be as good a time as any for the the trigger to be pulled. Even a win in Philly might not make a difference if plans are already in motion.
Of course, that’s assuming Arniel and/or Howson are actually in danger of losing their jobs. Common sense tells you they should be. The Jackets have been losing with Arniel behind the bench since last February, and Howson’s the one who assembled the group that’s currently 2-10-1, dead last in the NHL. The GM’s failure to address the goaltending issue while racking up millions in payroll has been especially damning given the play of Steve Mason.
But club president Mike Priest denied last weekend’s Columbus Dispatch report that changes were imminent. Those reported changes included the re-appointment of Ken Hitchcock as coach and the hiring of Craig Button as GM.
The Jackets are coming off a 4-1 home loss against Toronto in which they were down four goals just 5:31 into the second period.
- Discuss: Blackhawks push series to Game 6 22
- Report: Canucks ask Leafs permission to interview Eakins for head coaching gig 0
- Tortorella takes blame for top players’ struggles 18
- Discuss: Bruins finish off Rangers in Game 5 46
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 68
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 7
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 36
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 74
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- Play Video: Highlights: Blackhawks stay alive
- Play Video: Bickell blasts Kronwall
- Play Video: Toews scores first goal of the playoffs
- Play Video: Howard with a couple of tremendous saves in Game 5
- Play Video: Highlights: Bruins move onto Eastern Conference finals
- Play Video: Lundqvist takes one away from Lucic