Nov 4, 2011, 6:37 PM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets are in Philadelphia to play the Flyers on Saturday, but it’s the day of their next game that’s really worth noting. That would be Thursday, when the Jackets host the Blackhawks.
Hmmm, what could happen when a team with a horrendous record gets four days off?
If coach Scott Arniel and/or general manager Scott Howson are going to be relieved of their duties, next week will be as good a time as any for the the trigger to be pulled. Even a win in Philly might not make a difference if plans are already in motion.
Of course, that’s assuming Arniel and/or Howson are actually in danger of losing their jobs. Common sense tells you they should be. The Jackets have been losing with Arniel behind the bench since last February, and Howson’s the one who assembled the group that’s currently 2-10-1, dead last in the NHL. The GM’s failure to address the goaltending issue while racking up millions in payroll has been especially damning given the play of Steve Mason.
But club president Mike Priest denied last weekend’s Columbus Dispatch report that changes were imminent. Those reported changes included the re-appointment of Ken Hitchcock as coach and the hiring of Craig Button as GM.
The Jackets are coming off a 4-1 home loss against Toronto in which they were down four goals just 5:31 into the second period.
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 5
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 20
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 18
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 14
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)