Nov 4, 2011, 7:41 PM EST
The Chicago Blackhawks have ruled star defenseman Duncan Keith out for tonight’s game against the Tampa Bay Lightning with an injured left hand. That’s the bad news. The good news is that the organization is hopeful Keith will be able to return to the lineup for Sunday’s death match against the rival Vancouver Canucks.
The Hawks could have used him last night as they were unable to hold a third period lead against the Panthers in South Beach. Chicago was able to steal the victory from the jaws of defeat, but adding their marquee defenseman back to the mix would help the team protecting those tight leads at the end of the game. They can thank Corey Crawford and his 41 saves for last night’s win. Then again, with Keith’s offense in the lineup, there’s a good chance they wouldn’t have been sweating the 3rd period anyway.
If there were any team in the league to get a member of the Blackhawks motivated to return to the lineup, it would be the Canucks. In the meantime, we’ll see how the Chicago is able to perform in the second game of their back-to-back tonight in Tampa. Guys like Steven Stamkos, Martin St. Louis, and Vinny Lecavalier will try to make the most of their opportunity; while back-up goaltender Ray Emery will try to pick up the slack.
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 2
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 9
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)