Nov 4, 2011, 7:41 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks have ruled star defenseman Duncan Keith out for tonight’s game against the Tampa Bay Lightning with an injured left hand. That’s the bad news. The good news is that the organization is hopeful Keith will be able to return to the lineup for Sunday’s death match against the rival Vancouver Canucks.
The Hawks could have used him last night as they were unable to hold a third period lead against the Panthers in South Beach. Chicago was able to steal the victory from the jaws of defeat, but adding their marquee defenseman back to the mix would help the team protecting those tight leads at the end of the game. They can thank Corey Crawford and his 41 saves for last night’s win. Then again, with Keith’s offense in the lineup, there’s a good chance they wouldn’t have been sweating the 3rd period anyway.
If there were any team in the league to get a member of the Blackhawks motivated to return to the lineup, it would be the Canucks. In the meantime, we’ll see how the Chicago is able to perform in the second game of their back-to-back tonight in Tampa. Guys like Steven Stamkos, Martin St. Louis, and Vinny Lecavalier will try to make the most of their opportunity; while back-up goaltender Ray Emery will try to pick up the slack.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)