Nov 4, 2011, 10:32 AM EDT
It seems like forever ago that Steve Mason posted 10 shutouts in a season and won the Calder Trophy as rookie of the year. That was just the 2008-2009 season though and since then it’s been a slow decline for Mason in Columbus.
Going from a rookie year that saw him put up a goals against average of 2.25 to becoming a guy with a GAA over 3.00 is a terrifying change of pace for the Blue Jackets and with the team doing miserably once again, it’s time for the Blue Jackets to start looking around for alternatives for their starting goalie.
Yes, the Blue Jackets foolishly gave Mason a huge contract after his big year and it’s a contract that’s got one more year left on it after this one at $2.9 million. That doesn’t mean the Jackets have to stop snooping around, however. A major issue for Columbus now is they have no one to challenge Mason.
Backup goalie Mark Dekanich has been hurt since preseason and top AHL option Curtis Sanford is also banged up leaving fresh out of college rookie Allen York, formerly at RPI, to be the backup. Banking on your fourth stringer to help be your safety net is dangerous living.
Without anyone to seriously push Mason or even take the job away from him for the time being, Columbus is stuck in a bad way. If they’re unable to do anything about it, it’s an issue that could linger through til next season whether coach Scott Arniel or GM Scott Howson are there to see it through or not. Figuring things out in goal could go a long way to fixing things in Ohio.
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 3
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 2
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 12
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)