Nov 4, 2011, 9:37 AM EDT
The last we saw of Alex Ovechkin on Tuesday night against Anaheim was him kicking the puck towards Nicklas Backstrom for the game-winning goal in overtime. The bulk of that night and following day was spent analyzing Ovechkin being benched in the closing minute of regulation and how Ovechkin may or may not have cussed out Bruce Boudreau under his breath.
With the drama over with and behind us, the Caps are in Raleigh tonight to take on the Hurricanes and if you don’t think we’re all going to be watching how Ovechkin plays tonight intensely, you’re living in a world not on this planet.
Ovechkin hasn’t had to face up to these sorts of times of trouble at all before in the NHL. Never before has there been such an obvious show that he wasn’t getting the job done and made an example of because of it. How Ovechkin responds to all that will be fascinating to watch. While players will slump and go through their troubles, for Ovechkin, having it become the lead story is a new thing.
Will Ovechkin slump more or will we see the Ovi of old that is a holy terror on the ice hell-bent on destroying opponents with dynamic goals and physical play? The Carolina Hurricanes might prove to be the first of many unwilling sacrifices to Alexander the Terrifying.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (33)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)