Nov 4, 2011, 9:37 AM EDT
The last we saw of Alex Ovechkin on Tuesday night against Anaheim was him kicking the puck towards Nicklas Backstrom for the game-winning goal in overtime. The bulk of that night and following day was spent analyzing Ovechkin being benched in the closing minute of regulation and how Ovechkin may or may not have cussed out Bruce Boudreau under his breath.
With the drama over with and behind us, the Caps are in Raleigh tonight to take on the Hurricanes and if you don’t think we’re all going to be watching how Ovechkin plays tonight intensely, you’re living in a world not on this planet.
Ovechkin hasn’t had to face up to these sorts of times of trouble at all before in the NHL. Never before has there been such an obvious show that he wasn’t getting the job done and made an example of because of it. How Ovechkin responds to all that will be fascinating to watch. While players will slump and go through their troubles, for Ovechkin, having it become the lead story is a new thing.
Will Ovechkin slump more or will we see the Ovi of old that is a holy terror on the ice hell-bent on destroying opponents with dynamic goals and physical play? The Carolina Hurricanes might prove to be the first of many unwilling sacrifices to Alexander the Terrifying.
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 2
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 55
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 15
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)