Nov 4, 2011, 9:37 AM EST
The last we saw of Alex Ovechkin on Tuesday night against Anaheim was him kicking the puck towards Nicklas Backstrom for the game-winning goal in overtime. The bulk of that night and following day was spent analyzing Ovechkin being benched in the closing minute of regulation and how Ovechkin may or may not have cussed out Bruce Boudreau under his breath.
With the drama over with and behind us, the Caps are in Raleigh tonight to take on the Hurricanes and if you don’t think we’re all going to be watching how Ovechkin plays tonight intensely, you’re living in a world not on this planet.
Ovechkin hasn’t had to face up to these sorts of times of trouble at all before in the NHL. Never before has there been such an obvious show that he wasn’t getting the job done and made an example of because of it. How Ovechkin responds to all that will be fascinating to watch. While players will slump and go through their troubles, for Ovechkin, having it become the lead story is a new thing.
Will Ovechkin slump more or will we see the Ovi of old that is a holy terror on the ice hell-bent on destroying opponents with dynamic goals and physical play? The Carolina Hurricanes might prove to be the first of many unwilling sacrifices to Alexander the Terrifying.
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 38
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 15
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 81
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)