Nov 4, 2011, 2:33 PM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes will get a much-needed injection of cash from 10 new investment partners, but don’t expect them to be big players in free agency.
“We’d like to have the flexibility budget-wise to go to the top (of the salary cap), if we think we need to,” owner Peter Karmanos Jr. told reporters at a press conference. “But we’re not going to just throw money at players to get to the top of the range.”
Some of the $22 million Karmanos has raised will surely go towards paying down the team’s debt. According to a 2010 Forbes report, the Hurricanes’ debt/value ratio (80%) is the third highest in the NHL. Now guess which two teams had the highest level of debt. Yep, the Dallas Stars and New Jersey Devils. One already went bankrupt, the other is reportedly on the verge.
So good on Karmanos for getting investors on board. Particularly local investors.
“I really think it’s important for a sports team to be owned by local people,” he said. “When the day comes that I’m going to get out of the business, we’ll have lots of people who have some direct experience who actually live here.”
The good people of Hartford must be so happy for the good people of Raleigh.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)