Nov 4, 2011, 4:56 PM EDT
So apparently tomorrow is “Try Hockey For Free Day” across the United States.
According to NHL.com, “430 local ice rinks across 47 states are expected to conduct a free one-hour clinic to introduce nearly 10,000 kids to the sport.”
The idea is to build on the already-impressive growth of youth hockey in the U.S., where more than 100,000 children eight years and under registered to play last season.
But should kids from the United States really be playing hockey when there are so many other sports to choose from?
As a Canadian, I say no. Hockey isn’t even that fun for kids to play. Which is why enrolment in Canada is falling. We finally figured it out. And you should too, America.
I’m not just saying this because the United States has 10 times Canada’s population and if every American kid starts playing hockey Canada could eventually lose its perch atop the hockey world.
All I’m saying is that American kids should be playing superior sports, like football, baseball, basketball and jai-alai. Canadians would love the opportunity to play those sports, we just don’t know how.
Again, I can’t stress this enough: DO NOT put your kids in hockey, America. They won’t like it. And frankly, it’s dangerous.
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 4
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 15
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 18
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)