Nov 4, 2011, 4:56 PM EST
So apparently tomorrow is “Try Hockey For Free Day” across the United States.
According to NHL.com, “430 local ice rinks across 47 states are expected to conduct a free one-hour clinic to introduce nearly 10,000 kids to the sport.”
The idea is to build on the already-impressive growth of youth hockey in the U.S., where more than 100,000 children eight years and under registered to play last season.
But should kids from the United States really be playing hockey when there are so many other sports to choose from?
As a Canadian, I say no. Hockey isn’t even that fun for kids to play. Which is why enrolment in Canada is falling. We finally figured it out. And you should too, America.
I’m not just saying this because the United States has 10 times Canada’s population and if every American kid starts playing hockey Canada could eventually lose its perch atop the hockey world.
All I’m saying is that American kids should be playing superior sports, like football, baseball, basketball and jai-alai. Canadians would love the opportunity to play those sports, we just don’t know how.
Again, I can’t stress this enough: DO NOT put your kids in hockey, America. They won’t like it. And frankly, it’s dangerous.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 24
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 54
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 40
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)