Nov 4, 2011, 4:56 PM EDT
So apparently tomorrow is “Try Hockey For Free Day” across the United States.
According to NHL.com, “430 local ice rinks across 47 states are expected to conduct a free one-hour clinic to introduce nearly 10,000 kids to the sport.”
The idea is to build on the already-impressive growth of youth hockey in the U.S., where more than 100,000 children eight years and under registered to play last season.
But should kids from the United States really be playing hockey when there are so many other sports to choose from?
As a Canadian, I say no. Hockey isn’t even that fun for kids to play. Which is why enrolment in Canada is falling. We finally figured it out. And you should too, America.
I’m not just saying this because the United States has 10 times Canada’s population and if every American kid starts playing hockey Canada could eventually lose its perch atop the hockey world.
All I’m saying is that American kids should be playing superior sports, like football, baseball, basketball and jai-alai. Canadians would love the opportunity to play those sports, we just don’t know how.
Again, I can’t stress this enough: DO NOT put your kids in hockey, America. They won’t like it. And frankly, it’s dangerous.
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 4
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 4
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 11
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 32
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 36
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 24
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)