Nov 4, 2011, 9:37 PM EST
The Toronto Maple Leafs said today that James Reimer will not be back on the ice this weekend. That alone isn’t news as the Leafs #1 netminder has been slowly trying to recover from “concussion-like symptoms.” But the problem is that it sounds like no one around the Leafs organization has any idea when Reimer will be back on the ice. When it comes to concussions, no news can be just as worrisome as bad news.
“He kind of hit a plateau in his recovery,” Coach Ron Wilson said, “so the trainers decided not to ask him to go on the ice.” With all of the concussion problems that have made headlines over the last year, a player leveling off in the recovery process and not returning to the ice could be a problem. These things aren’t as easy to predict as a broken wrist or a torn ACL—which is oftentimes the source of so much frustration.
The good thing Wilson and the Leafs have going in their favor is that the team has been playing so well recently. Rookie Ben Scrivens only gave up a single goal in his NHL debut last night. Jonas Gustavsson has won three of his last four games as well, so there’s no real rush to get Reimer back in the net. When the team is 9-3-1 and sitting on top of the Northeast Division, it’s a little easier to remain calm about any injuries.
The minute Toronto starts experiencing goaltending problems though, the questions are going to get louder. But for now, no one knows when Reimer’s coming back—and there’s no hurry to rush him back.
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 7
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 4
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 10
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 17
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 99
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)