Nov 4, 2011, 9:37 PM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs said today that James Reimer will not be back on the ice this weekend. That alone isn’t news as the Leafs #1 netminder has been slowly trying to recover from “concussion-like symptoms.” But the problem is that it sounds like no one around the Leafs organization has any idea when Reimer will be back on the ice. When it comes to concussions, no news can be just as worrisome as bad news.
“He kind of hit a plateau in his recovery,” Coach Ron Wilson said, “so the trainers decided not to ask him to go on the ice.” With all of the concussion problems that have made headlines over the last year, a player leveling off in the recovery process and not returning to the ice could be a problem. These things aren’t as easy to predict as a broken wrist or a torn ACL—which is oftentimes the source of so much frustration.
The good thing Wilson and the Leafs have going in their favor is that the team has been playing so well recently. Rookie Ben Scrivens only gave up a single goal in his NHL debut last night. Jonas Gustavsson has won three of his last four games as well, so there’s no real rush to get Reimer back in the net. When the team is 9-3-1 and sitting on top of the Northeast Division, it’s a little easier to remain calm about any injuries.
The minute Toronto starts experiencing goaltending problems though, the questions are going to get louder. But for now, no one knows when Reimer’s coming back—and there’s no hurry to rush him back.
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 62
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 44
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 56
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 27
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)