Nov 4, 2011, 11:13 AM EST
With Sidney Crosby likely coming back sooner than not to the Pittsburgh Penguins lineup and a host of other injured forwards also getting back to the ice in short order (Tyler Kennedy for instance) the Pens are swimming in depth up the middle. When you’ve got a surplus of players you’re either going to make your farm team get really good really fast or you’re going to take advantage of that.
According to Andy Strickland of TrueHockey.com, Pens GM Ray Shero is busy working the phones and one Pens center in particular is being shopped around. With Crosby, Kennedy, Evgeni Malkin, Jordan Staal, and Richard Park all spending time playing at times up the middle, Mark Letestu is the man out in the cold and the Penguins are trying to unload him.
The trick there is that Letestu, even in spite of the Pens injury woes, has not carved a spot out for himself this season scoring no goals and adding just one assist this season. Last season, Letestu was looking like a breakout star until he too was bitten by the injury bug scoring 14 goals and adding 13 assists. Now he’s just a spare part that isn’t producing and being surpassed by other players like Joe Vitale.
If Shero can get anything worthwhile in return for him, say a cure to the voodoo curse that’s overtaken the Penguins, it’s worth a shot.
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 5
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 4
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 21
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)