Nov 4, 2011, 11:13 AM EDT
With Sidney Crosby likely coming back sooner than not to the Pittsburgh Penguins lineup and a host of other injured forwards also getting back to the ice in short order (Tyler Kennedy for instance) the Pens are swimming in depth up the middle. When you’ve got a surplus of players you’re either going to make your farm team get really good really fast or you’re going to take advantage of that.
According to Andy Strickland of TrueHockey.com, Pens GM Ray Shero is busy working the phones and one Pens center in particular is being shopped around. With Crosby, Kennedy, Evgeni Malkin, Jordan Staal, and Richard Park all spending time playing at times up the middle, Mark Letestu is the man out in the cold and the Penguins are trying to unload him.
The trick there is that Letestu, even in spite of the Pens injury woes, has not carved a spot out for himself this season scoring no goals and adding just one assist this season. Last season, Letestu was looking like a breakout star until he too was bitten by the injury bug scoring 14 goals and adding 13 assists. Now he’s just a spare part that isn’t producing and being surpassed by other players like Joe Vitale.
If Shero can get anything worthwhile in return for him, say a cure to the voodoo curse that’s overtaken the Penguins, it’s worth a shot.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 22
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 21
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 33
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)