Nov 3, 2011, 10:25 PM EDT
The Islanders hoped they’d be able to right the ship tonight when the struggling Winnipeg Jets visited Long Island on Thursday night. For the sixth game in a row, they’re still looking for answers.
The season started off so much optimism. After dropping a tough game on opening night, the Isles followed it up with a three-game winning streak to improve their record to 3-1. John Tavares was coming off back-to-back four point games and it was starting to look like the Islanders rebuilding project was starting to bear fruit.
How things can change.
The optimism that filled Nassau Coliseum at the beginning of the season has been replaced with the skepticism that has filled the rink for the last few seasons. The team has already been shutout three times in only ten games. Throughout the six-game losing streak, each of their three netminders have failed to get the train back on the track. This is the same team that had a 14-game losing streak at the beginning of <i>last</i> season.
The tough part for Isles fans to swallow tonight is that the team had shown signs of improvement lately. They lost in shootout in Pittsburgh last week and pushed the San Jose Sharks to OT over the weekend. But even though the Isles had a good effort tonight, the 3-0 loss at home against the Winnipeg Jets can only be classified as a huge step backwards.
Here are the highlights—or lowlights from tonight’s game against the Winnipeg Jets:
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 9
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 72
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)