Nov 3, 2011, 10:25 PM EDT
The Islanders hoped they’d be able to right the ship tonight when the struggling Winnipeg Jets visited Long Island on Thursday night. For the sixth game in a row, they’re still looking for answers.
The season started off so much optimism. After dropping a tough game on opening night, the Isles followed it up with a three-game winning streak to improve their record to 3-1. John Tavares was coming off back-to-back four point games and it was starting to look like the Islanders rebuilding project was starting to bear fruit.
How things can change.
The optimism that filled Nassau Coliseum at the beginning of the season has been replaced with the skepticism that has filled the rink for the last few seasons. The team has already been shutout three times in only ten games. Throughout the six-game losing streak, each of their three netminders have failed to get the train back on the track. This is the same team that had a 14-game losing streak at the beginning of <i>last</i> season.
The tough part for Isles fans to swallow tonight is that the team had shown signs of improvement lately. They lost in shootout in Pittsburgh last week and pushed the San Jose Sharks to OT over the weekend. But even though the Isles had a good effort tonight, the 3-0 loss at home against the Winnipeg Jets can only be classified as a huge step backwards.
Here are the highlights—or lowlights from tonight’s game against the Winnipeg Jets:
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)