Nov 3, 2011, 11:03 PM EDT
The NHL rulebook says that a player cannot come to a completely stop during a shootout attempt. For anyone who wants to see just how confusing that rule can be, Danny Briere had an attempt where it looked like he may have crossed the line. The play was reviewed by the war room in Toronto and was ruled a legal goal—a decision that not everyone agreed with when it was announced. The Devils eventually won the shootout (4-3 final), thus minimizing any potential fallout from the questionable call.
Here’s a look at the entire shootout from the Devils/Flyers game—including Briere’s controversial goal.
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; Blues tie it up in waning moments 92
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 2) 0
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 30
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 48
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 76
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 115
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 63