Nov 3, 2011, 5:15 PM EST
Some Stats is a weekly feature that will run every Thursday on PHT. In Some Stats, we look at some stats.
18:37: Average ice time for Alex Ovechkin. Last year, it was 21:22. In 2007-08, it peaked at 23:07. That’s an astounding drop-off, even when you consider the Caps have a lot more depth than they used to. I wonder how Ovi’s ego feels when he looks up and sees he’s 63rd among NHL forwards in average ice time. Nah, he’s probably totally cool with that.
Minus-9.2: The average shot differential for the Predators (23.5 shots for, 32.7 shots against.) Nashville has outshot its opponent just once in its first 11 games. A classic Preds game occurred Oct. 22 in Calgary, when they were outshot by the Flames 33 to 14 and won the game, 2-0. It’s almost like Nashville tends to sit back with the lead. Entertaining to watch.
13: Points for Tampa Bay’s Marc-Andre Bergeron, tied for the most of any defensemen in the NHL. And here’s the crazy part: Bergeron’s only playing 18:59 per game. OK, maybe it’s not so crazy when you watch him in his own end, but consider the average ice time for the five d-men tied with or behind Bergeron in scoring: Erik Karlsson (13 points, 25:13 per game) Alex Edler (12, 23:28), Dion Phaneuf (11, 26:38), Kris Letang (11, 26:03), and Brian Campbell (11, 26:59).
23.8%: Shooting percentage for Phil Kessel, bearer of one of the best releases in hockey. For example:
Little hint for defensemen: Don’t back up and give Kessel the high slot all to himself. He can score from there. Although to be fair, they probably know that already. Just scared he’ll blow by them if they get too aggressive at the blue line. A great shot with speed is a dangerous combination.
4: The number of times a team has been winning heading into the third period and failed to get a point. I don’t have much to add, other than to say four times isn’t too many. Try to get the lead before the third period starts I guess.
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 9
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 32
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 25
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 31
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 12
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 49
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)