Nov 3, 2011, 11:18 AM EDT
After the NHL secured a broadcast agreement with the Nordic countries, they’re taking their business even wider around the world with yet another deal to bring the game to more people globally.
The NHL will now carry live broadcasts to England/Ireland, Czech Republic, Germany, Spain, Slovakia, Italy, Austria, France and to parts of Africa and the Middle East thanks to a new agreement with nine broadcast outlets from around the world. The NHL has been making waves to get themselves on TV more here in North America (a nice 10-year deal with NBC helped out there) and now getting the game to their fans around Europe and elsewhere in the world helps the league’s reach improve all the more.
It’s nice to know that we could also travel to any of these locations and be able to find a game on TV if we wanted. Sure it might be really early in the morning to have to watch one, but it’s great that hockey is expanding its reach like this and even to places that you wouldn’t suspect there to be many fans (Middle East? Sub-Saharan Africa? French overseas territories?). Good for the NHL for being progressive rather than reactive.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)