Nov 3, 2011, 7:52 AM EST
To say it was a bad night for Martin Brodeur would be putting it lightly. While there’s no shame in losing to the Maple Leafs (at least at this point in the season there’s not) giving up four goals on 11 shots at one point and five on 15 shots at another thing.
Giving up a hat trick to Joffrey Lupul in less than seven minutes makes for stunning news and even in spite of making one of the best saves of the year on Phil Kessel to show he’s still got the ability to steal one, is this it for Marty? Sure it may have been Brodeur just shaking off the rust after having a few weeks off with a shoulder injury and having to deal with a Leafs team that scores in bunches can give any goalie headaches, even a 39 year-old future Hall Of Famer.
Looking back at how those goals went in though… It leaves your mind spinning wondering if we’re watching Brodeur play in his final season for the Devils.
Goals beating Marty through the armpit like you’re playing NHL 12 on rookie level, goals where you’re left wondering, “How did that get through?” and goals where you know that Marty of old would’ve had without a problem. You look at how Brodeur’s numbers ballooned up last season and then you see how through two and a half games this year he looks human and the one conclusion you can come up with is, “This is it.”
With how strong Johan Hedberg has been this year in New Jersey, coach Peter DeBoer is going to have to be more judicious in the number of starts he gives to Brodeur. If this isn’t it for Brodeur, he’s got to start showing it soon.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)