Nov 3, 2011, 7:52 AM EST
To say it was a bad night for Martin Brodeur would be putting it lightly. While there’s no shame in losing to the Maple Leafs (at least at this point in the season there’s not) giving up four goals on 11 shots at one point and five on 15 shots at another thing.
Giving up a hat trick to Joffrey Lupul in less than seven minutes makes for stunning news and even in spite of making one of the best saves of the year on Phil Kessel to show he’s still got the ability to steal one, is this it for Marty? Sure it may have been Brodeur just shaking off the rust after having a few weeks off with a shoulder injury and having to deal with a Leafs team that scores in bunches can give any goalie headaches, even a 39 year-old future Hall Of Famer.
Looking back at how those goals went in though… It leaves your mind spinning wondering if we’re watching Brodeur play in his final season for the Devils.
Goals beating Marty through the armpit like you’re playing NHL 12 on rookie level, goals where you’re left wondering, “How did that get through?” and goals where you know that Marty of old would’ve had without a problem. You look at how Brodeur’s numbers ballooned up last season and then you see how through two and a half games this year he looks human and the one conclusion you can come up with is, “This is it.”
With how strong Johan Hedberg has been this year in New Jersey, coach Peter DeBoer is going to have to be more judicious in the number of starts he gives to Brodeur. If this isn’t it for Brodeur, he’s got to start showing it soon.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 33
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 86
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (42)