Nov 3, 2011, 7:52 AM EDT
To say it was a bad night for Martin Brodeur would be putting it lightly. While there’s no shame in losing to the Maple Leafs (at least at this point in the season there’s not) giving up four goals on 11 shots at one point and five on 15 shots at another thing.
Giving up a hat trick to Joffrey Lupul in less than seven minutes makes for stunning news and even in spite of making one of the best saves of the year on Phil Kessel to show he’s still got the ability to steal one, is this it for Marty? Sure it may have been Brodeur just shaking off the rust after having a few weeks off with a shoulder injury and having to deal with a Leafs team that scores in bunches can give any goalie headaches, even a 39 year-old future Hall Of Famer.
Looking back at how those goals went in though… It leaves your mind spinning wondering if we’re watching Brodeur play in his final season for the Devils.
Goals beating Marty through the armpit like you’re playing NHL 12 on rookie level, goals where you’re left wondering, “How did that get through?” and goals where you know that Marty of old would’ve had without a problem. You look at how Brodeur’s numbers ballooned up last season and then you see how through two and a half games this year he looks human and the one conclusion you can come up with is, “This is it.”
With how strong Johan Hedberg has been this year in New Jersey, coach Peter DeBoer is going to have to be more judicious in the number of starts he gives to Brodeur. If this isn’t it for Brodeur, he’s got to start showing it soon.
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 3
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ 45
- Report: Islanders were sold for $485 million 8
- Scrivens believes Oilers are ‘starting to build winning habits’ 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)