Nov 3, 2011, 12:12 PM EST
Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch notes that, with the Blue Jackets facing the Flyers on Saturday, Columbus C Jeff Carter will make the flight to Philadelphia this weekend.
He won’t have to check much luggage, though.
Still out with a broken foot, there’s no chance Carter will be suiting up against his old team — the same team that signed him to an 11-year, $58-million deal in Nov. 2010, then traded him away eight months later.
“I haven’t even skated since it [the broken foot] happened,” said Carter, who suffered the injury Oct. 15 against Dallas. “I have a lot of good friends there, players and staff and it’ll be good to see them. I wish I was playing against them. But I’m not going to rush back and risk something just to play in Philadelphia.”
Carter’s had issues with his foot in the past (he broken the same bone last year), although this latest break is non-displaced and requires rest/time to heal. It’s cost him seven games already, a number that will grow to nine as he won’t play tonight against Toronto or Philly on the weekend.
In fact, there’s no real target date for Carter’s return at all.
“It’ll happen when the pain subsides, which could be this weekend, early next week … who knows?” Carter said. “It’s not the way I wanted to get this season started, that’s for sure.”
If you’re looking for a potential return date, the Jackets have a five-day break following the Flyers game and don’t get back into action until Thursday, Nov. 10 — a home date against divisional rivals Chicago.
- Byfuglien out 2-4 weeks with upper-body injury; Little hurt, too 9
- Bettman concedes there are ‘some members of the NHL family who would like to see fewer shootouts’ 43
- Season over: Avs lose MacKinnon to broken foot 19
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 18
- Bruins sign Krug and Smith to contract extensions 36
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 15
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 9
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 21
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 32