Nov 3, 2011, 12:12 PM EDT
Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch notes that, with the Blue Jackets facing the Flyers on Saturday, Columbus C Jeff Carter will make the flight to Philadelphia this weekend.
He won’t have to check much luggage, though.
Still out with a broken foot, there’s no chance Carter will be suiting up against his old team — the same team that signed him to an 11-year, $58-million deal in Nov. 2010, then traded him away eight months later.
“I haven’t even skated since it [the broken foot] happened,” said Carter, who suffered the injury Oct. 15 against Dallas. “I have a lot of good friends there, players and staff and it’ll be good to see them. I wish I was playing against them. But I’m not going to rush back and risk something just to play in Philadelphia.”
Carter’s had issues with his foot in the past (he broken the same bone last year), although this latest break is non-displaced and requires rest/time to heal. It’s cost him seven games already, a number that will grow to nine as he won’t play tonight against Toronto or Philly on the weekend.
In fact, there’s no real target date for Carter’s return at all.
“It’ll happen when the pain subsides, which could be this weekend, early next week … who knows?” Carter said. “It’s not the way I wanted to get this season started, that’s for sure.”
If you’re looking for a potential return date, the Jackets have a five-day break following the Flyers game and don’t get back into action until Thursday, Nov. 10 — a home date against divisional rivals Chicago.
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 0
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)