Nov 3, 2011, 12:24 PM EST
It wouldn’t be another start to the season if it wasn’t for Calgary stumbling out of the blocks. This time around, fans sound serious about worrying that the inevitable complete fall from grace is coming. Stars Jarome Iginla and Miikka Kiprusoff are 34 and 35 years-old respectively and Roman Horak and Mikael Backlund represent their only youthful players. With everyone else being in their late-20s or their 30s, the future is bleak in Calgary.
While Calgary has nearly been a playoff team the last two years, they’ve fallen short and with the team aging not-so gracefully (they’re the second-oldest team in the league behind Detroit) it might be time for GM Jay Feaster to find a way to blow things up and start anew.
One way they could get a head start on that would be to find a way to land disgruntled Coyotes restricted free agent Kyle Turris. Scott Cruickshank of the Calgary Herald posits that while others will be in pursuit of Turris, Calgary gunning for him could be the right move to help the Flames get younger and talented.
Trades don’t come without risk, but with just Horak and Backlund to look at as definitive positive prospects, the Flames are in a bad way. With 11 unrestricted free agents after this season, trading away talented guys with extended deals like Alex Tanguay and Rene Bourque might not be the best thing to do in the short term, but to get what they want that might be the only option they have to clean house and start over.
With Phoenix and Calgary already having history this year when they swapped Daymond Langkow and Lee Stempniak, reestablishing that connection to do a deal may not be too hard to do. If Don Maloney gets off his stance in saying he absolutely will not trade Turris, it’s hard to imagine Jay Feaster not being the first guy to call him.
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 5
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 0
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 2
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 10
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 18
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers face Red Wings on Rivalry Night 13
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 8
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 10
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 10
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)