Nov 3, 2011, 12:24 PM EST
It wouldn’t be another start to the season if it wasn’t for Calgary stumbling out of the blocks. This time around, fans sound serious about worrying that the inevitable complete fall from grace is coming. Stars Jarome Iginla and Miikka Kiprusoff are 34 and 35 years-old respectively and Roman Horak and Mikael Backlund represent their only youthful players. With everyone else being in their late-20s or their 30s, the future is bleak in Calgary.
While Calgary has nearly been a playoff team the last two years, they’ve fallen short and with the team aging not-so gracefully (they’re the second-oldest team in the league behind Detroit) it might be time for GM Jay Feaster to find a way to blow things up and start anew.
One way they could get a head start on that would be to find a way to land disgruntled Coyotes restricted free agent Kyle Turris. Scott Cruickshank of the Calgary Herald posits that while others will be in pursuit of Turris, Calgary gunning for him could be the right move to help the Flames get younger and talented.
Trades don’t come without risk, but with just Horak and Backlund to look at as definitive positive prospects, the Flames are in a bad way. With 11 unrestricted free agents after this season, trading away talented guys with extended deals like Alex Tanguay and Rene Bourque might not be the best thing to do in the short term, but to get what they want that might be the only option they have to clean house and start over.
With Phoenix and Calgary already having history this year when they swapped Daymond Langkow and Lee Stempniak, reestablishing that connection to do a deal may not be too hard to do. If Don Maloney gets off his stance in saying he absolutely will not trade Turris, it’s hard to imagine Jay Feaster not being the first guy to call him.
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 2
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 16
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 4
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11
- Russia’s economic crisis causing big trouble for KHL 56