Nov 3, 2011, 4:22 PM EDT
Fresh off a 5-1 whipping at the hands of divisional rival Vancouver, the Calgary Flames shook things up in a major way prior to tonight’s game against the Red Wings in Detroit.
Head coach Brent Sutter revamped almost all of his forward lines at this morning’s skate. Roman Horak is centering Rene Bourque and David Moss on the third line; Brendan Morrison is between Lee Stempniak and Alex Tanguay on the second while Olli Jokinen will center Curtis Glencross and Jarome Iginla on the top line.
If you’re thinking “wait, I seem to recall Jokinen and Iginla lighting it up once” you’re probably harkening back to when Calgary first acquired Jokinen in March 2009. This was a really big deal at the time — long before he became Olli “you must be” Jokinen. Upon making the trade, the Flames loaded up their first line with Iginla, Jokinen and Mike Cammalleri and for a while, the trio was unstoppable.
The Cammy-Olli-Iggy line had a scintillating debut, combining for seven points in a 5-1 win over Philly. They continued to play well — Jokinen recorded 15 points in 19 games while Iginla finished with 54 assists, the second-highest total of his career — but then the roof caved in.
The Flames let Cammalleri walk in free agency. Replacements were auditioned, but none found long-term success with Iginla and Jokinen (the closest was Tanguay.) Then Iginla and Jokinen were broken up. Then Jokinen was traded to New York. Then Calgary re-signed him as a free agent.
And now everything’s come full circle.
“Olli’s a different player than he was two years ago when Jarome and him played together,” Sutter told NHL.com. “Olli’s role has changed. He’s playing a different brand of hockey for us. He’s being rewarded for changing his game and the way he’s playing. He’s playing well and enjoying that role. Jarome will have to adjust somewhat to his new linemates and the way they play.”
- Wild hand Bryzgalov a training camp tryout 5
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 14
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 11
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 17
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 48
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 13
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)