Nov 3, 2011, 10:14 AM EDT
The Red Wings will look to snap their five game losing streak tonight at home against Calgary and while losing streaks mean high drama in Detroit, for the Wings a solution to their woes is very simple.
All they need to do is score some goals.
During Detroit’s five game skid they’ve been shutout once, held to one goal three times, and scored just two in another game. Five losses, five goals scored. Not many teams, not even the storied Wings, are going to win many games scoring so few goals. Seeing Pavel Datsyuk go so quietly is upsetting for Wings faithful to see as is the lack of gusto from Henrik Zetterberg who we figured needed a wake up call of his own.
While issues in Detroit usually center around the goalie not being able to keep up with his superstar forwards and defensemen, Jimmy Howard has done his job. Leaving him on the hook for losses when allowing one or two goals, however, is pretty cruel. Instead, Mike Babcock will shake up his lines splitting up Datsyuk and Zetterberg and hope that that does the trick to alleviate their woes.
If it doesn’t work out and the Wings offense continues to struggle, it might be time to unleash the bag skate on these vets.
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 3
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 10
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 8
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 51
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 21
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Andy Murray out of French Open due to back injury