Nov 3, 2011, 10:14 AM EDT
The Red Wings will look to snap their five game losing streak tonight at home against Calgary and while losing streaks mean high drama in Detroit, for the Wings a solution to their woes is very simple.
All they need to do is score some goals.
During Detroit’s five game skid they’ve been shutout once, held to one goal three times, and scored just two in another game. Five losses, five goals scored. Not many teams, not even the storied Wings, are going to win many games scoring so few goals. Seeing Pavel Datsyuk go so quietly is upsetting for Wings faithful to see as is the lack of gusto from Henrik Zetterberg who we figured needed a wake up call of his own.
While issues in Detroit usually center around the goalie not being able to keep up with his superstar forwards and defensemen, Jimmy Howard has done his job. Leaving him on the hook for losses when allowing one or two goals, however, is pretty cruel. Instead, Mike Babcock will shake up his lines splitting up Datsyuk and Zetterberg and hope that that does the trick to alleviate their woes.
If it doesn’t work out and the Wings offense continues to struggle, it might be time to unleash the bag skate on these vets.
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- The King is back: Lundqvist starts for Rangers Saturday 2
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 16
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 58
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)