Nov 3, 2011, 10:14 AM EDT
The Red Wings will look to snap their five game losing streak tonight at home against Calgary and while losing streaks mean high drama in Detroit, for the Wings a solution to their woes is very simple.
All they need to do is score some goals.
During Detroit’s five game skid they’ve been shutout once, held to one goal three times, and scored just two in another game. Five losses, five goals scored. Not many teams, not even the storied Wings, are going to win many games scoring so few goals. Seeing Pavel Datsyuk go so quietly is upsetting for Wings faithful to see as is the lack of gusto from Henrik Zetterberg who we figured needed a wake up call of his own.
While issues in Detroit usually center around the goalie not being able to keep up with his superstar forwards and defensemen, Jimmy Howard has done his job. Leaving him on the hook for losses when allowing one or two goals, however, is pretty cruel. Instead, Mike Babcock will shake up his lines splitting up Datsyuk and Zetterberg and hope that that does the trick to alleviate their woes.
If it doesn’t work out and the Wings offense continues to struggle, it might be time to unleash the bag skate on these vets.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)