Nov 3, 2011, 10:14 AM EST
The Red Wings will look to snap their five game losing streak tonight at home against Calgary and while losing streaks mean high drama in Detroit, for the Wings a solution to their woes is very simple.
All they need to do is score some goals.
During Detroit’s five game skid they’ve been shutout once, held to one goal three times, and scored just two in another game. Five losses, five goals scored. Not many teams, not even the storied Wings, are going to win many games scoring so few goals. Seeing Pavel Datsyuk go so quietly is upsetting for Wings faithful to see as is the lack of gusto from Henrik Zetterberg who we figured needed a wake up call of his own.
While issues in Detroit usually center around the goalie not being able to keep up with his superstar forwards and defensemen, Jimmy Howard has done his job. Leaving him on the hook for losses when allowing one or two goals, however, is pretty cruel. Instead, Mike Babcock will shake up his lines splitting up Datsyuk and Zetterberg and hope that that does the trick to alleviate their woes.
If it doesn’t work out and the Wings offense continues to struggle, it might be time to unleash the bag skate on these vets.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 68
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 94
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 6
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 179
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (179)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (94)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (89)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (87)