Nov 3, 2011, 10:14 AM EDT
The Red Wings will look to snap their five game losing streak tonight at home against Calgary and while losing streaks mean high drama in Detroit, for the Wings a solution to their woes is very simple.
All they need to do is score some goals.
During Detroit’s five game skid they’ve been shutout once, held to one goal three times, and scored just two in another game. Five losses, five goals scored. Not many teams, not even the storied Wings, are going to win many games scoring so few goals. Seeing Pavel Datsyuk go so quietly is upsetting for Wings faithful to see as is the lack of gusto from Henrik Zetterberg who we figured needed a wake up call of his own.
While issues in Detroit usually center around the goalie not being able to keep up with his superstar forwards and defensemen, Jimmy Howard has done his job. Leaving him on the hook for losses when allowing one or two goals, however, is pretty cruel. Instead, Mike Babcock will shake up his lines splitting up Datsyuk and Zetterberg and hope that that does the trick to alleviate their woes.
If it doesn’t work out and the Wings offense continues to struggle, it might be time to unleash the bag skate on these vets.
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 13
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 3
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 26
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)