Nov 3, 2011, 1:53 PM EDT
Earlier today, Carolina Hurricanes owner and CEO Peter Karmanos Jr. announced a group of 10 new partners in the ownership of the team. Of the 10, a whopping nine of them are based locally in North Carolina.
“These new partners are devoted to the continued success of the Hurricanes in North Carolina,” Karmanos said in a statement posted to the Hurricanes website. “Their investments in our team further solidify our franchise’s standing in the National Hockey League and the North Carolina sports community.”
Eight of the ten partners are: Michael Kahn, Capitol Broadcasting Company, Inc. (James Goodmon, A.J. Fletcher Foundation), Matthew Szulik, Ice Puck LLC (Orris Temple Sloan, Jr.), Clancy & Theys Construction (David Tim Clancy, Joel Thomas Irving Clancy, Kathryn Virginia Clancy, Robert Todd Clancy, Sarah Elizabeth Sturm), Jim Rutherford, Hurricanes Investment, LLC (Abel Zalcberg, Barbara Zalcberg) and Whitney Holdings Inc. (Frederick J. Whitney, Timothy M. Whitney).
The remaining two investment partners have chosen to keep their partnerships private.
One of the names that jumps off the page is that of Jim Rutherford, current general manager of the ‘Canes. The move makes sense given Rutherford’s worked for the club for 18 years and is the longest-tenured GM in franchise history…but there just aren’t that many NHL GMs that have a stake in ownership. Should be interesting if ownership ever holds an anonymous vote on whether to keep Rutherford as GM or not. “Six votes yay, three votes nay and one vote that simply reads ‘Jim is Awesome.’”
As for my favorite part of the release — the Clancy & Theys Construction bio:
“Clancy & Theys Construction was founded in Raleigh in 1949 by brothers-in-law E.I. Clancy and John Theys. Today the company is owned by the late E.I. Clancy’s family, and is managed by his sons. Tim Clancy is president, and his brother Tick is executive vice president.”
Wait, his name is Tick Clancy? Really? I feel like further explanation is required as to how one becomes Tick Clancy. Is that a nickname? An alias? How has there not been a follow-up release explaining the origins of Tick Clancy’s name? This is a PR fail.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)