Nov 3, 2011, 1:53 PM EST
Earlier today, Carolina Hurricanes owner and CEO Peter Karmanos Jr. announced a group of 10 new partners in the ownership of the team. Of the 10, a whopping nine of them are based locally in North Carolina.
“These new partners are devoted to the continued success of the Hurricanes in North Carolina,” Karmanos said in a statement posted to the Hurricanes website. “Their investments in our team further solidify our franchise’s standing in the National Hockey League and the North Carolina sports community.”
Eight of the ten partners are: Michael Kahn, Capitol Broadcasting Company, Inc. (James Goodmon, A.J. Fletcher Foundation), Matthew Szulik, Ice Puck LLC (Orris Temple Sloan, Jr.), Clancy & Theys Construction (David Tim Clancy, Joel Thomas Irving Clancy, Kathryn Virginia Clancy, Robert Todd Clancy, Sarah Elizabeth Sturm), Jim Rutherford, Hurricanes Investment, LLC (Abel Zalcberg, Barbara Zalcberg) and Whitney Holdings Inc. (Frederick J. Whitney, Timothy M. Whitney).
The remaining two investment partners have chosen to keep their partnerships private.
One of the names that jumps off the page is that of Jim Rutherford, current general manager of the ‘Canes. The move makes sense given Rutherford’s worked for the club for 18 years and is the longest-tenured GM in franchise history…but there just aren’t that many NHL GMs that have a stake in ownership. Should be interesting if ownership ever holds an anonymous vote on whether to keep Rutherford as GM or not. “Six votes yay, three votes nay and one vote that simply reads ‘Jim is Awesome.’”
As for my favorite part of the release — the Clancy & Theys Construction bio:
“Clancy & Theys Construction was founded in Raleigh in 1949 by brothers-in-law E.I. Clancy and John Theys. Today the company is owned by the late E.I. Clancy’s family, and is managed by his sons. Tim Clancy is president, and his brother Tick is executive vice president.”
Wait, his name is Tick Clancy? Really? I feel like further explanation is required as to how one becomes Tick Clancy. Is that a nickname? An alias? How has there not been a follow-up release explaining the origins of Tick Clancy’s name? This is a PR fail.
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 1
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 7
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 9
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 60
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 77
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (137)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)