Nov 2, 2011, 2:58 PM EST
The Winnipeg Jets have sent home D Tobias Enstrom from their current seven-game road trip with an upper-body injury. Enstrom suffered the injury during Monday’s 4-3 shootout win over the Florida Panthers on a hit from Jack Skille:
While the NHL deemed the hit legal and didn’t subject it to further review, it remained a contentious one. Dustin Byfuglien and Andrew Ladd both dropped the mitts with Skille while the Winnipeg Free Press suggested Enstrom “was hunched over and appeared defenseless when Skille tagged him” and that the Jets didn’t like the hit at all.
Enstrom is the third player lost to a high hit over the last few days. Ottawa captain Daniel Alfredsson has missed time after getting nailed by New York’s Wojtek Wolski and Nashville’s Mike Fisher was lost to a crushing blow from Anaheim’s Francois Beauchemin.
As for Enstrom: He’ll miss at least the next four games as the Jets continue their roadie in Long Island, New Jersey, New York and Buffalo. They’re set to return to Winnipeg on Nov. 10 to take on — guess who? — Skille and the Panthers.
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 21
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 15
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 17
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 99
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)