Nov 2, 2011, 6:58 PM EDT
The Wednesday Wake-Up Call is where we pick a struggling player and kindly ask him to SNAP OUT OF IT ALREADY. COME ON. YOU’RE BETTER THAN THIS!
Henrik Zetterberg, C, Detroit Red Wings
Key stats: 2G-2A-4PTS in 10GP, minus-4.
Cap hit: $6.08 million annually.
Zetterberg’s poor start to the year is inexplicable. It’s not an injury issue (he’s healthy). It’s not a chemistry issue (he’s had his usual linemates in Pavel Datsyuk and Dan Cleary). It’s not an opportunity issue (he leads the league in shots per game) and it’s not an ice-time issue (he’s playing 20 minutes a night).
So, what gives? How has a line featuring three immensely talented players only mustered 14 combined points thus far?
Zetterberg is at a loss for answers.
“We should definitely score more goals than we’ve done,” he told NHL.com. “It’s not like we don’t have the chances, but somehow we can’t get the puck behind the goalie. It is frustrating. You’ve just got to keep going and doing the right things.”
Zetterberg might be preaching patience, but head coach Mike Babcock isn’t hearing it. He split up the Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Cleary line at practice today, which could actually be of benefit to Zetterberg. Rather than play the wing on the top line, he’ll center Johan Franzen and Todd Bertuzzi on the second. This definitely plays into the hands of a guy that’s put up assist totals of 56, 47, 42 and 49 in each of the last four years.
Check that — it better play into his hands. No. 40 needs to turn things around, and quick. He’s on pace for a career-low 33 points and the Wings are on pace for 88, which probably won’t be enough for a playoff spot.
So wake up, Henrik Zetterberg. Your team needs you.
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 5
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 25
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 87
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 35
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 60
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 98
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 31
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (98)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (90)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (87)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree tears achilles, out six months