Nov 2, 2011, 1:11 AM EST
A funny thing happened tonight in Washington. When the Washington Capitals needed a goal to tie the game against the Anaheim Ducks, coach Bruce Boudreau picked the six guys on his bench that he thought gave him the best opportunity to score the tying goal.
Alex Ovechkin was not one of those players.
Asked why, Boudreau was to the point with his explanation. “I thought other guys were better than him,” Boudreau said. “It was just a chance that other guys might score the goal. I have to put out the guys who I think are going to score the goal and 99% of the time, Alex is the guy I think is going to score the goal—I just didn’t think he was going to get the goal at that time tonight. You go with your gut feeling.”
After the game, Versus analyst (and former head coach) Mike Keenan shared his thoughts on Ovechkin’s benching at the end of the game. Harsh words indeed:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 28
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 14
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 89
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (89)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)