Nov 2, 2011, 1:11 AM EDT
A funny thing happened tonight in Washington. When the Washington Capitals needed a goal to tie the game against the Anaheim Ducks, coach Bruce Boudreau picked the six guys on his bench that he thought gave him the best opportunity to score the tying goal.
Alex Ovechkin was not one of those players.
Asked why, Boudreau was to the point with his explanation. “I thought other guys were better than him,” Boudreau said. “It was just a chance that other guys might score the goal. I have to put out the guys who I think are going to score the goal and 99% of the time, Alex is the guy I think is going to score the goal—I just didn’t think he was going to get the goal at that time tonight. You go with your gut feeling.”
After the game, Versus analyst (and former head coach) Mike Keenan shared his thoughts on Ovechkin’s benching at the end of the game. Harsh words indeed:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (60)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)